Ricoh Shooter's Unabridged thoughts and feelings about the GXR

Well Mike, your off to a good start. What do ya think so far? Please update the thread so everyone can be informed....
Don

I had it out for a couple of hours tonight and it was not different than carrying around my GRD 3 except for the size difference and weight. This is not a cheaply made camera. ISO 1600 on the GXR looks close to an ISO 400 on the GRD 3. I found the focus fast and true on the 28mm module even with the AF assist light off at night. Having the button layout almost identical to the GRD 3 and the same menu system is a dream come true. Other manufactures should really pay attention to what Ricoh is doing. Using the DNG format really saves the hassle of upgrading Adobe RAW. On both my GXR and GRD 3 the "My Settings" are the same, "MY1" - Bright Day, "My2" - Low Light Day, "MY3" - Night.

Yessiree, the direct button is a nice fast feature also. The snap works great also even with the 50. I'm had ya like the camera. Your right about the interface being close to the GRD. I prefer this one as it has more space between the buttons.

Mike, beautiful. It seems the camera maybe has supported if not enhanced your vision. I think your night vision will shine brightly thru the dark,
that means little or no noise.....
don

I had been shooting with my small sensor cameras lately, and even the X100 a bit, but I decided with the coming of fall, the rain and fall textures to pull out the GXR 50mm macro for some, well, macro. The small sensors have their rendering style, which I like a lot, the X100 has great dynamic range, but there is something about the GXR 50mm rendering that I absolutely love. I cannot put my finger on it, but it's there and I like it.

I am a sucker for hydrangeas.

r0011488_ps_bw_800px1.jpg

Andrew, you are so right about the 50. I absolutely adore that lens.
It is better than my expectations. At the turn of the century, I started really exploring the 50 FOV. I was just getting in tune with that when I abandoned film. Since that time, this is the 1st time I want to use a 50 as a main FOV. I think Ricoh gave me a perfect choice and a new found sense of freedom.

I love the sound when it goes to macro.

I really don't like camera bags as I travel extensively and find them more of a hindrance. I recently got back from a 7,500 km trip through Xinjiang China. I brought along a Newswear hip belt I used with an M7 and two lenses. Man is it great. The belt can be mid-sized or small as it lies flat. The openings have industrial strength Velcro closures which are annoying when you want to be quiet but fantastic in crowded streets in poor countries. It is virtually pickpocket proof. The construction is bomb proof and it is easily washable ( I wash covered in orange powder during the festival and it washed right out in a sink. Dry in an hour). There is a small section that lies flat against your body for your money, cards, ID, if Uhaving a wallet bulge is a risk. I just returned from India during the Ganesh festival and the Newsreader belt proved itself again. I highly recommend it and because of its flat profile, it would work well with the GXR and a few modules. newswear dot com
Newswear | Chestvest, pouches, rain ponchos

Mine arrived today. As nie1jag stated, it's the best. It's just the right size and soft, flexible but rugged like for the military.
I got the small hip pack.
I attached a Billingham #815 dual divider with velcro. That gives 3 protected pockets in the main bag,
It is the perfect size.
I'll post pics later. I have a load of bags but this is perfect.

Thanks for the great tip nie1jag.

Occupy Philly, Day 10
View attachment 43140
10-11-0308 by streetshooter.us, on Flickr

I am documenting the occupation in Philadelphia with the GXR's. I can't explain how much I enjoy using these cameras.
The GXR is the perfect camera for reportage. It captures the image with ease and delivers an image with great quality....and....it is totally non intrusive to the moment...
more coming as I progress.

Back