Fuji Shooting Interiors for Real Estate: Zeiss 12 / Fuji 14?

dacalac

Veteran
A friend who is a real estate agent has asked me to shoot some of the houses she is putting up for sale. Right now I only have my trusty 35mm and since the 10-24mm isn't out yet. Would the two lenses mentioned above be enough for the average American interior shot? I'd probably rent the lens for the weekend but I wanted to get some feedback before I go ahead and respond to the request.

TIA!

I dunno where I read this but I thought that UWA are banned for use for shots of interiors of real estates because it distorts the perception of the actual size of the place. Again, this may not be true. It just came to mind after reading this post.

With that said, I find the 14mm to be able to do the trick in most cases but depending on how tight the space is, wider is always better. If 14mm won't work, surely the 12mm will. No need to go wider for the average American interior shot IMHO.

I thought that the 10-24 didn't have much of a fisheye effect? At least one that couldn't be corrected with some PP work. In any case after looking at some samples I do feel that the Zeiss would be able to get the job done plus it'll be $1 less to rent. :p I don't really care about the slow auto focus since I'll be shooting non moving subjects on a tripod.

As wide as you can get is what you need for interiors. Try stepping into a powder room and image trying to get the whole thing into the shot. Also, many times in furnished rooms where you are able to stand to get the shot may be a limiting factor. I'd rent the 12mm and save up for the 10-24 if you're going to be doing this on a semi-regular basis.

Yeah if you're going to do this enough to justify spending on a lens, I'd order/rent the 10-24 (it's supposed to be released end of the month). If you need something before then, rent a 12mm in the meantime. It's tough to be 'too wide' for shooting interiors.

Side note, but I'd strongly recommend supplemental lighting if you have it. Makes a room feel light and open, and inviting to the viewer. I did some interior shots for our condo listing and just tucked a bounce flash in a couple corners. Made a huge difference (y)

Since RE work is only a small part of my business, I opted for the Sigma 10-20mm for Nikon, with a G adapter. It's the same lens I used with Canon, and plenty sharp when stopped down. This one was only run through Lightroom....

View attachment 3399

Attachments

• dscf0037.jpg
    dscf0037.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 306
What a coincidence. A local REA likes my work enough to ask me to shoot his high end properties for marketing.......ie over £1m

I use my 6d with a 17-40. If I need something wider (rare) I take 2 or more shots and stitch in Photoshop.

Yes, fill in flash makes such a difference.

This is the first I have done. When I am back from aus' and NZ......he has a few more lined up for me

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44559203.html?premiumA=true

Cheers

when i did hotels for one of my freelancing gigs, they did not want any artificial lighting, at all. they wanted the customers to see exactly what they'd be getting. i pretty much would just turn all the lights on and up my exposure time a bit. are you working with empty spaces, or will they be staged?

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

The properties are still occupied so all the furniture will still be there. I do like the look of natural light which fits in a bit more with the company. If anything I would just shoot with a longer exposure time.

As much as I love my X kit. I'll still use my Canon 5DIII with TSE lenses for real estate and architectural shoots.

If you only have the X camera then the widest lens available is what you want. Primarily to ensure that you can shoot loose enough so that corrections can be made in Lightroom or Photoshop to keep verticals vertical and parallel.

When I shoot architectural interiors, I shot a bracket of three with a 6EV speed. Then shot one or two with supplemental speedliting.

90% of the time, if there are no outside windows, one of the bracket works along. With outside windows, it may be a 32 bit file created from the bracket or one with suplimental light.

I appreciate why a hotel might insist of only the lighting they paid for, but there is a difference between supplementing the ambient and replacing it.

This was shot with, I think, a 17mm TSE on a Canon 5DIII:

DMWA9928.jpg

Here is the rest of the gallery.

This is simple, really.

Just get the Fuji 14mm...it's an absolutely spectacular lens; of the best I have ever shot with. I use mine all the time. It will be nice to have the faster lens speed than the 10-24 zoom (having a f/2.8 will be really useful for interior shots). Also, Sean Reid of Reid Reviews did a comprehensive comparison with the Zeiss Touit 12mm, and felt the Fuji 14mm was clearly better.

Lands-End-Tree.jpg

Lusso.jpg

The maximum aperture between F4 and F2.8 is not significant when shooting real estate. Generally, the shot is being accomplished on a tripod and the lens is stopped down to about F8 to ensure sharpness throughout. I expect that the 10-24 is going to be a very useful lens for those wanting to shoot real estate with the Fuji kit. The three lenses I use for interiors are the 17 and 24 TSE and the 16-35mm zoom.

Preliminary information suggests that it's going to be sharp.

I've just got the 10-24, and after just some playing around with I'm amazed... Tack sharp, and with the OIS you're able to manage real slow shutter speeds hand held. I'll try to post some images in a few days..

Back