Fuji Shopping for a New Camera

photoeagle

Name
Bradley A
I have decided that my next changeable lens camera will be mirrorless. What does Fuji have to offer in the mid-range. I do have both SLR and DSLR experience.

I enjoy shooting outdoors, shooting nature, plus street scenes and buildings.

Good evening and welcome. I hate to start by saying "it depends" but the answer depends on two things - what you view as mid-range and whether you prefer (or are more comfortable) with SLR or Rangefinder form factors, and if the latter, do you want direct vision or are you happy with an EVF.

Technically, top of the tree at the moment are the X-Pro1 and the SLR-style X-T1. The former is just about to be replaced so is available new for very few pennies, making it a real bargain. The X-Pro1 has a hybrid viewfinder combining direct vision and EVF in a rangefinder-like package. Both are robust, pro-spec bodies. The X-T1 also boasts weatherproofing, a feature that is expected on the X-Pro2 next year.

The next tier is occupied by the X-E2 and the X-T10. The X-E2 is again rangefinder-style, but only offers an EVF. The X-T10 is relatively new and is SLR-style in it's handling. In the secondhand market you can also find the X-E1.

The most basic models are the X-A1 and X-M1. They have no EVFs and limited user control compared to their bigger brothers.

What, of course, they all do, is take the exceptional range of X-Series lenses, so once you have settled on a body, the world is your optical oyster ;)

Hope this helps.

While X-Pro1 is indeed at the top of the lineup (at least formally), it's a very quirky camera that probably will satisfy only the most slow and deliberate shooters. And while its hybrid viewfinder is an incredible feat of engineering, the OVF part is useless with most lenses (except the original trio of 18, 35, 60) and the EVF part is not very good.

X-T1 is an excellent body and it has probably the best EVF in business, although its sheer size and short eye-relief makes it difficult to see for spectacle wearers.

X-T10 and X-E2 are very similar, but X-T10 has some additional features like better customisation and electronic shutter. The latter is especially useful because it's 100% silent and can go up to 1/32000 of a second which is very nice if you want to shoot that beautiful Fuji glass wide open on a sunny day.

I partially agree with you about the X-Pro1. I think of it as more of a sniper rifle than a machine gun. In defence of the evf/ovf, I think it is a bit of an acquired taste. I came to it from 20+ years of Leica M and LTM use wnd took to it like a duck to water. I find it completely usable with most of the prime lenses, though not with zooms, when I switch to EVF. I expect the X-Pro2 OVF to be like the x100T which has evolved to be excellent. BTW you do know you can adjust the OVF magnification on the X-Pro1?

For myself, the XT-1 is what made be be able to start dumping my Nikon gear and get out of the megapixel race. I've grown up on Nikon bodies, and the XT-1 reminds me closely of my old F-100 Nikon, and just feels right in my hands. Never adapted to rangefinders..

Should also add that the current sales on the Fuji gear end soon.. so now might be a good time to pick up a kit.

Just to add that the X-T10 is about 95% of the X-T1 camera, and costs more than 5% less. If you can live without weather sealing and 8fps (vs 3), and don't mind losing the ISO dial, just save the money and go with the 10.

Back