Fuji Should I Bother Buying an X-Pro 1 on Close-Out?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I don't need another camera. I already own an X-T10, an X100T and an X-A1 among Fuji APS-C bodies. But the X-Pro 1 body is now being offered for $499 on close-out and it just seems to be calling to me.

I'm sure auto-focus is faster with my X-T10 and X100T, and the viewfinders are probably better on the newer cameras as well. I have only Fuji's older primes: the 18mm, 27mm, 35mm and 60mm. And I have two zooms: the less-expensive XC 16-50mm and the 50-230mm telephoto. Both Mark I versions.

Does anyone think the X-Pro 1, with all of the latest firmware updates, would make any sense in my kit? BTW, I am not likely to buy the X-Pro 2 (I just can't afford it) - at least not until Fuji closes it out in another 3 or 4 years.

The very short answer is yes. It is a far better camera than when it was launched (I waited over a year before buying mine) I also have an XT-1, an XM1 and an X100T and a similar range of lenses and it is still my main go-to camera.

Two further thoughts. It is more of a sniper rifle than a machine gun - make sure that suits your personal style (I suspect it will if you get on with the X100T. Secondly, as always, the value of a system such as Fuji's lies more in the quality and longevity of the glass than the bodies.

Go for it.

I feel like the big differentiator would be the optical viewfinder. The T10 will focus faster, has a much better EVF, and just generally responds quicker. But if you're into the glass viewing experience, then $500 is still a great deal for a brand new X-Pro1, as it is today.

I use several XT1s for my professional work, and the X100T for my personal photography. I'd always been interested in the X-Pro1 since it was released, and I recently had the chance to pick up a like new copy second hand for about US$300. I kept it for about 2-3 weeks, before selling it to a friend. Basically I found after using the more modern cameras I couldn't fall in love with the X-Pro1. I missed the direct control of the focus point that you get with the newer bodies, and I found the EVF refresh rate to be quite slow in comparison.

It wasn't going to work for me for my professional work, due to the different user interface (I like all my work cameras to be identical), and as I only had the larger lenses (23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2 plus zooms) it didn't really work as a smaller rangefinder. I have the WCL and TCL for the X100T so it's not like it really added anything there - I have flexibility in focal lengths already. In the end I determined that while it was a lovely camera and an object of interest, I just wouldn't use it.

I'm glad I had the chance to own it, as it was my interest in the X-Pro1 (when it was released) that started the process which ended up with me switching to Fuji in my Pro work. That said, it's in the hands of someone who will use it a whole lot more than me now, which it deserves.

As much as the discounts tempt me, I've never used rangefinder style cameras enough to get used to them. I grew up on Nikon FM2, FA, F100, so the X-T1 is like coming home. Rangefinders on the other hand, seem like I'm driving on the wrong side of the street. :D

So the question for anyone considering it is, are they comfortable shooting rangefinder style?

I shoot a rangefinder and owned an X Pro1 when they first came out. Much later I re bought a used one but ultimately couldn't get along with it after using the more updated X cameras. In particular I found the need to buy a separate diopter rather off putting, particularly as Fuji's diopter values seem not to relate to an opticians +/- value for spec wearers.

Only you can answer that question but I've used mine for two years now and it (almost) never let me down. As to the drawbacks the EVF refresh rate could be better, I need an extra button press to move the focus point around (I use MF and back-button focusing instead) and I really wish Fuji would make the left and right buttons on the control pad assignable. Other than that I'm still very happy with that camera, AF speed is fast and mostly reliable enough (see above), shutter lag negligible and 16MP enough for most of my stuff - I'll keep shooting that thing until it falls apart and in that case I might just get another one.

A great bargain. Although I use both the X-T1 and X100s&t I still like the X-Pro1, I have found the OVF better suited in very bright outdoor conditions than the EVF, however each to his own.
As I said excellent value for money.

The X-Pro 1 has a bit more size and heft versus the X-E2. So I would think the 35mm f/1.4 might be a tick better balanced on the X-Pro 1. But the X-E2 has slightly better electronics including a faster refresh rate for its EVF.
Btw how are you finding your xpro 1 ? Are you enjoying it ?

Back