Fuji Should I do it? X100s

My first post here.. I'm close to pulling the trigger on X100s versus the Ricoh GR, Leica X1, X2, Nikon Coolpix A among others.. I favor the 35mm FOV.. however my main concern is IQ and the AF speed.. I would like and appreciate your unbiased opinions and feedback.. :)
Thanks in advance..
~ Doug

I have no regrets in getting the X100s (previously had the X100), the AF is vastly improved on the X100s and very quick (I use centre point focussing) and as for the IQ - stunning is the best word to describe it.

The advantage of the X100s for me is the stunning viewfinder both EVF and the superb OVF both total winners and if you add to that leaf shutter for flash sync at all speeds, size, weight and totally tactile operation with aperture/shutter speed dial control rather than through menus.

I do also have the Ricoh GR and it is an amazing camera that delivers very good IQ in a super small package, the GR is a camera I can always have with me especially when photography is not the main reason for a visit but, without a viewfinder and aperture ring, shutter speed dial it is very much menu driven albeit easy to use and a real photographers camera.

My personal preference for a real photographic experience with great results is the Fuji, the Ricoh comes a close second for a small well made robust camera that delivers great IQ in a pocket package.

If cost was not an option my choice would still be the same as I rate the FUJI & Ricoh as the top two but you will need to handle & play with all in the group to find out which suits you best.

Good luck,

Can't speak to the AF speed of the Ricoh, but the X100s is, apparently, improved over the X100. That said, it is not all that fast relative to a good DSLR. It's OK, but not great. But, the X100s isn't a camera that's intended for quick action where fast AF is a plus. I use mine primarily for street photography and in that instance, I use manual zone focusing. I pick an aperture I want, set the focus distance to, say, 10 feet and let depth of field take care of the rest.

I can't speak to the GR, but my experience with the AF on the X100S is mixed. In good light its as fast as I'd ever need (especially if using the phase detection part of the sensor) however, if that light is behind the subject then the camera really struggles. Luckily the manual focus aids make manually focusing very easy when the camera can't acquire focus or doesn't focus on what you want it to focus on. As Robert said above, it can't compete with a good DSLR and my Pansonic G5 is also much faster, but the X100S needs to be looked at as the sum of its parts and AF is just one part of that. I debated between the X100S and GR and ultimately the X100S won out (based on the FL, faster aperture, high ISO performance and viewfinder). I would welcome a firmware updated that offered face detection however - I would speculate that would solve 90% of any issues I have with the AF.

Thanks for responses.. one more question.. ??? AF speed of GR vs X100s??? :)

I find that there is very little difference in AF speed between the two cameras, they both focus quickly in good light but can "hunt" a little in low light yet both do acquire focus.

One advantage the Ricoh GR has is the "Snap focus" mode that allows instant shooting at pre-focussed distances, it is a real winner in difficult lighting however, the Fuji has that stunning viewfinder that is a joy to use.

Difficult decision - some people say wait until Photokino in Sep - that is fine and speculation is rife about new cameras, however, there is nothing wrong with either of the two listed and if you can live with what they offer now and do not need the very latest addition then once the new variants are announced prices for existing models will fall so you can pick up a great users camera at a sensible price.

What did you dislike so much about the GR if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.. The GR is a great camera.. lightweight, fantastic lens, awesome B&W.. however I shoot primarily jpeg and the colors are just plain dull, and flat, and comic book or watercolor looking jpeg images IMHO.. I'm in the consulting business and need to send shots out fast without fiddling with RAW fixes.. with my Oly and Panny's I have no problem with vibrant jpegs.. so I opted for the X100s instead, as I have had the X100 previously and it outperformed the GR in jpeg quality big time.. all said and done the X100s is a much better camera in many, many ways.. not just jpeg color rendition.. it's heavier and bigger, but the trade off vs the smaller GR is worth paying more for the X100s.. just my 3 cents.. :) YMMV..

A bit late to the thread but IMO the GR series and X100 series are both tremendous cameras with different pros and cons.

I do agree that the Fuji has better SOOC color JPEGs than the Ricoh although I prefer the SOOC B&W JPEGs of the Ricoh.

In any case the Ricoh has the Snap Focus mode which is great for street and IMO has the better overall user interface.

The Fuji on the other hand has that great EVF/OVF as well as direct controls for aperture, shutter, EV as well as better manual focusing.

Two very different cameras that are both capable of stunning images.

Anyways, neither camera will be leaving my kit anytime soon.

Back