Fuji Should I go for the X100?

X100

I have yet to see the X100 available new anywhere......I had sent B&H a request for notification but never heard from them. I would at least like to handle one before I decide....so if you know who has them please let me know...I live in the Phila area.

Thanks!!

Thanks Stock Tracker looks great. I tried my local Best Buys to see if I could handle one but they didn't have any in the store.

Nice to know they are out there though!

Thanks!!

Welcome aboard Ray. I believe we have a number of Philly folks in this forum. Perhaps someone will volunteer to meet up with you somewhere and show off the X100.

Also, I have seen X100's at Amazon in the last couple of weeks. Amazon has an excellent 30 days return policy. Returns to Amazon are much cheaper as well, because Amazon gives you a label and then deducts the return shipping cost from the refund. Their cost of shipping is MUCH lower than if you or I were to send a package via UPS, USPS, or FedEx.

Ray,

I'm from just outside Philly and frequently travel into the Art Museum area. I'd be glad to meet up with you to demo mine. I got it from a gentleman on the Fred Miranda site, and there are several of them over there for sale, one of which at least as of yesterday PM was going for an asking price of $950.

FWIW, I like mine so much for all the reasons others have already mentioned, particularly, though for the combination of .jpg IQ SOOC, and it's ease of carry, that I'm giving now serious consideration to selling my extensive Nikon collection to help fund a Leica M9 :D

tony

tony

Thank you Tony and Armanius....... I am pretty new to Digital but have been doing film (incl a wet dark room) for 45 years. I was a combat photog in the USMC (f11 and be there....) during Vietnam and fell in love with Nikon as a result. I have MANY film cameras now (Nikon, Leica, Conta, Canon, and MF's as well) and only one digital, a Nikon D90 which I truly love. Its so good that I started to look at the RF's although there will be no digi M's in my future. Anyway, I will be asking lots of dumb questions down the road....until I feel like I know enough to make a smart buy.

Again thank you for your welcome and Tony I may ask to meet after the holidays.

Ray
5514856040_79b85cd1ea_b.jpg

Ray,

I'm another Philly area guy - West Chester to be specific. And I have an X100 as well. So if it doesn't work out with Tony, I make it into the city reasonably often as well and you'd be welcome to check mine out. So, anytime after the holidays...

-Ray

Ray...uh oh, which Ray am I writing to? Rayj, that is a beautiful collection of cameras - wow!

Your time as a combat photographer is something that I will never be able to fathom, however I can surely thank you for all that you did while in the Marines. In addition, I sincerely doubt that you'll have any dumb questions. We're all on the learning curve somewhere, and I have a feeling you're much farther along than many. I look forward to your decisions and to seeing more from you. I hope you can take up both Tony and Ray on their offers to meet up with you and bring their X100s along.:th_salute:

Thanks BB.......It was different in the 60's. Marines were thought of as the worst of the "aggressors and baby killers". I remember coming home after several lifetimes and being spit on at the airport. Thank God its different now!!

Many of the cameras in my cabinet I have had a LONG time. As my eyes get older its harder to use the Barnacks but I still love them.

Thanks again!

Ray

I know it was different then, Ray. I'm probably all that much younger than you are. Glad you made it home and that you've continued along with your photography. I'm afraid my eyesight has degenerated so much that I would be lost without auto focus - or I'd be limited to the patience of inanimate objects.;)

Wow, quite a collection of cameras there RayJ! Glad you made it through as well. And thank YOU for your service to our country. And sorry for all the times you had to deal with the unthoughtful.

IMO, the X100 may be the perfect camera for you, at least looks-wise in relation to your collection of rangefinders. Although the AF can be a little quirky (especially when compared to the AF of your D90), and the menu too, the X100 is unparalleled when it comes to image quality in a small package. Don't expect to manually focus the X100 though. It'll drive you crazy. Unless of course you are shooting landscape or macro, and you need critical focus.

Ray,

Semper Fi, brother. Cold War Marine here. 0211/0212 LCpl 3rdMarReg, 3rdMarDiv, Camp Kinser, Okinawa 58-59 HonDis 1963. Give me a shout any time. PM me and I'll hook you up with my phone #.

thank you, sir, for your service and your and your family's sacrifice.

tony

Thank you guys again! I appreciate it very much!

Semper Fi Tony......MOS was 4641 E5 Sgt 1970 through 1976 3rd Marine Div assigned to different units out of Dang Ha.....also spent time in Cherry Point NC, Rosey Roads PR, Quantico and Ft Monmouth. And thank you as well for serving!!!!!

I heard the focus on the X100 was special and that's a problem I would like to avoid. How do you all feel about the x10, I read that the IQ was not near as good as the 100. I know there is a nice review here but I would love some added input.

Thanks!!

Ray

Hey Ray. What an amazing-looking collection of cameras.

The X-10 is an attempt to take the typical compact P&S camera and make it into a serious photographic tool. I think they largely succeed in that it takes good pictures in a range of conditions with very little commitment to "hauling gear around". It's well made, quirky with regard to settings and handling, and has a good sensor and a very nice, fast zoom. It has some flaws like the white circle issue, but fro most that;'s not a deal breaker. I'm already very fond of it, and, more importantly, I'm starting to trust it as a camera that wont let me down. Of course, I'm talking vacation photos and not a rain forest assignment for Nat Geo.:)

The X10's AF is definitely quicker and more accurate than the X100. The X10 also has face detection, which makes taking portraits a bit easier than focus and recompose. The face detection is not as good as other cameras though, and the subject has to really be looking at the camera. Sometimes, the X10 will detect a face when I'm shooting a photo without any faces in it! Figures!

Overall, the X10 is just a faster camera than the X100. But don't expect the image quality of the X10 to come anywhere near the X100. The X10 is very very good. But it's very very good for a point and shoot. I love them both, and took them on a recent vacation. First time I wasn't switching lenses on a trip. Very liberating!

Ray (Ray j Gun) fantastic collection you have there (shame you don't live in the UK as I could have sent some friends round to "borrow" them).

Joking - but that is one mighty fine clutch of cameras and I hope you have success in finding an X100 - great camera.

Back