Fuji Should I go for the X100?

Beautiful selection of cameras.

When I recently purchased the x100 I was trying to duplicate the experience of using a Contax T I owned for many years. Something small enough to carry around but capable of taking very nice pictures. It fit that bill to a "t".

I think the image quality is outstanding and the high ISO is very good. Contrary to many opinions I have seen, it is not as good in this area as the K5 I used to have or the Canon 5D2 but far better than a Nikon D90. All in all its a very creditable camera and while mine has missed focus a few times, so did my Contaxt T and more recently my Canon. It seems you just have to pay attention to have a high degree of keepers.

Opinions are from personal experience and from only a few weeks with the X100.

Jim

AF definitely is not as fast as DSLR or even the m43, sony nex; however, the biggest problem probably is to get used to the rangefinder style; what you have seen in the viewfinder is not exactly what you will put on your photo, you need to learn to compose with that in mind.

PHP:
AF definitely is not as fast as DSLR or even the m43, sony nex; however, the biggest problem probably is to get used to the rangefinder style; what you have seen in the viewfinder is not exactly what you will put on your photo, you need to learn to compose with that in mind.

You can always "cheat" by switching to the EVF view to see your true frame. Nice flexibility!

The build quality and IQ is excellent. For the money, I doubt if you can beat it.

With firmware 1.30 I find af comparable to my D80 with fast wide glass. Hunts less, better accuracy. With a top performing dslr, the X100 is probably slower.

What is a headache is start up time from sleep. At least for me. Carry a spare battery, I shut down unless I know I will soon be shooting again. I use no power saving settings. I miss shots because of this. There's also a learning curve. I have a rubber band around the focus ring (zone shooting) and an o-ring around the ev dial. I sacrifice some settings I'd like to use just to avoid going into the imbecilic settings menu.

I tend to always shoot with 24's to 50's so the fixed 35 is a non issue. Nothing on the market now would replace this camera at any cost. As funds are not an issue, I'm pretty sure about this statement. If for no reason other than to be introduced to a really good camera, it's worth the price. I bought it as a disposable purchase, my D80 is now for sale.

As Christmas fast approaches and various family members have been asking what I want, I find myself drawn to a refurbed X100 here in the UK. They can be had for about £450 currently (which is reasonable for a skinflint of limited means like me...). I thought I'd bump this thread to see the current view. I do a bit of street but mostly landscapes and I'm quite drawn to the high ISO performance for indoor events. I'm drawn to the OVF as I don't like squinting at LCDs. I think I can cope with the 35mm and I'm aware of the autofocus issues and the SAB problem - the latter should be covered by the official warranty though I'd need to double-check.

So, if you had the opportunity, and bearing in mind that I also have the cameras listed in my signature below, would you buy one?? Do the disadvantages outweigh the benefits??

I think I can cope with the 35mm and I'm aware of the autofocus issues and the SAB problem - the latter should be covered by the official warranty though I'd need to double-check.

If this statement is true and you're not deceiving yourself, I personally prefer it to everything else out there. I sold ofo my micro four thirds kit because it was just sitting around while I grabbed the X100 every day. It may not be for everyone, but I love it. I think it will be a good companion to your current kit.

Here in the U.S., the going rate for new X100's is still the original $1199 list price. That should tell you something about demand for the camera and its reputation. And the X10, even after the orb issue, is going for $549, only $50 off the original list price.

A few weeks ago, the X100 was discounted to $999 in a special Fuji promotion for only the second time ever. Of course, that was around the time of Hurricane Sandy and I wasn't able to take advantage of the sale. Drat. Maybe next time... unless the X-E1 goes on sale. In fact, maybe it would be better to go for the X100... no LBA to worry about. ;)

I heard this morning from my local camera store, Looking Glass Photo in Oakland, CA, that the X100 is discontinued. I cannot validate the accuracy of that statement, but apparently he is unable to order any more from the distributor. Large grains of salt included for insurance.

I heard this morning from my local camera store, Looking Glass Photo in Oakland, CA, that the X100 is discontinued. I cannot validate the accuracy of that statement, but apparently he is unable to order any more from the distributor. Large grains of salt included for insurance.

I'd believe it. We know camera companies retire cameras that were problematical. That sticky blades thing must have been a royal PITA, and expensive for them to resolve. I haven't had it yet, haven't shot enough to get it happening. I suppose when I do, it will be too late. I still love mine, though.

I'd believe it. We know camera companies retire cameras that were problematical. That sticky blades thing must have been a royal PITA, and expensive for them to resolve. I haven't had it yet, haven't shot enough to get it happening. I suppose when I do, it will be too late. I still love mine, though.

I think the only way they would discontinue it would be if they were going to just upgrade the sensor in it. I don't they will/would change the basic camera or lens. This was also rumored this summer and turned out to be false. See:

1) Fuji X100 is now discontinued, X200 coming at Photokina? | Photo Rumors

2) Earlier Reports Confirmed As False: The Fujifilm X100 Is Not Discontinued

The photographer who reviewed the X-E in the magazine below writes in the review the X100 will be replaced next year by upgrading the sensor to the same one in the X Pro/X-E. That sounds about right.

f11 :: for photographers and aficionados

That does sound right. It also sounds like an opportunity to fix a few hardware problems that can't truly be cured by firmware updates. I imagine auto focus would be better as well. Any bets about whether the hybrid OVF/EVF stays?

Back