Fuji Should I go for the X100?

That does sound right. It also sounds like an opportunity to fix a few hardware problems that can't truly be cured by firmware updates. I imagine auto focus would be better as well. Any bets about whether the hybrid OVF/EVF stays?

I'd be shocked if the hybrid viewfinder doesn't stay - its one of the camera's primary attractions. I suspect they'd add the "Q" menu, fix the ISO / auto ISO menu, etc too. I wonder if they'd speed up the lens - the X-Pro and XE1 are supposed to get a 23 f1.4 - I wonder if they could get anything close to that speed in an X200 without making it a lot larger?

-Ray

I'd be shocked if the hybrid viewfinder doesn't stay - its one of the camera's primary attractions. I suspect they'd add the "Q" menu, fix the ISO / auto ISO menu, etc too. I wonder if they'd speed up the lens - the X-Pro and XE1 are supposed to get a 23 f1.4 - I wonder if they could get anything close to that speed in an X200 without making it a lot larger?

-Ray

Good question. I'll bet f/1.8 is very possible. But I'd settle for the f/2.0 that's there now. If the AF were improved along with the changes you listed and the price stayed the same, the X100 would still be a very desirable camera.

The photographer who reviewed the X-E in the magazine below writes in the review the X100 will be replaced next year by upgrading the sensor to the same one in the X Pro/X-E. That sounds about right.

Indeed. However, I hope that RAW support for that sensor increases by then. If that sensor becomes the mainstay of Fuji's cameras they'll need that. Someone ought to be able to figure it out at some point. If no one can accurately decipher the code then Fuji has a challenge. Such capable cameras should not be JPG-only.

Back