Fuji Should I just drop M4/3's

^I find that last bit about the OM-1 and rangefinder interesting as I would expect the opposite. One of the reasons I find the X-Series cameras so interesting is that the shooting experience would be the closest thing ive seen in digital to using my OM-1.

^I find that last bit about the OM-1 and rangefinder interesting as I would expect the opposite. One of the reasons I find the X-Series cameras so interesting is that the shooting experience would be the closest thing ive seen in digital to using my OM-1.

For me it's about EVF=SLR and OVF = RF. When I use the EVFs on my Xs, then yes, very similar.

If we're speaking of film, The OM-D feels more like my motorized Nikons and the X-Pro like my Leicas.

I suppose what I was referring to with the Fujis is that aperture on the lens, and a shutter speed dial replicate the controls of the OM-1 and other film cams. None of the m43 offerings give the same feeling to me.

Ok, as far as full analog controls, agreed, though the OM-1 has its shutter speed dial around the lens mount rather than the top right deck as with Leicas or other traditional film SLRs.

So...good thing or bad thing? It is a question mark that I have over the current generation Fujis.

Few things are 100%, but largely a good thing. I shot mainly with the optical viewfinder and at 18mm, just to get the "full" experience of the Fuji. This was my first experience, so there was a lot of "coming to grips" with the machine. Across my shoulder was an OM-D equipped for long shooting. The contrast was immediate and very apparent. The OM-D is as fast in use as my 1Ds', combined with the mileage I've put on the OM-D, I shot seamlessly, smooth as silk, shooting ala photojournalistic style. The X-Pro had me waiting, wait as it wrote, waiting as it focused. In the bright sun I did find it difficult to see the setting info, but the bright lines were always there and I could hear focus confirmation. In the beginning I was startled by this big black thing jutting into the viewfinder from the lower right ... then I remembered ... oh yeah this is a rangefinder and I was taken back to my M3 and M4 (motorized ;)) days. Usually, if I use a camera which is less than responsive to my 1D's, I say poppycock and get easily frustrated. I didn't feel frustrated by the X-Pro, I felt I needed to slow down and not that the camera needed to speed up. Sorta weird how that got twisted around. Like taking a BMW to the track. Yeah, the Porsches are buzzing by you, but that's okay, you're still making good time, the four of you all wrapped in comfy leather, surrounded by elegant sounds and good conversation, a huge picnic in the trunk ... what bump, there was a bump? ...

Even with more experience the Fuji will never be as responsive as the OM-D, but that's okay because it is fast enough, I just have to rethink how I shoot, quality over quantity. Slow myself down, shoot like I'm shooting film. My big 1D's and the OM-D are great, hyper-responsive and I know somewhere in the billions of files I shot, there is bound to be something good. The Fuji is like shooting film, get it right and get it right the first time 'cuz there isn't a second chance. Back to film, back to Leica, not good or bad ... different ... but different good ... lol.

Gary

Back