Fuji Should I Keep my New X10?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
This is not the kind of question I ask very often. I usually know what I want, get it and am usually happy with it. But a wrench has been thrown into the works by yesterday's big Panasonic GX1 special on Amazon. I was one of those taking advantage of the special as it was just too good to pass up.

So, I now have the G3, GX1 (on the way) and E-PM1. Now, I have deserving nieces who I can gift my G3 to should I decide to either upgrade to a G5 or even buy a close-out GH2 when the time comes (both of those camera bodies would be great for my longer/larger lenses). Ditto for the E-PM1.

But what to do about the X10? And here's the thing: I've been very busy since buying the camera at Best Buy a week and a half ago. So I have yet to open the X10's box. I could just take it back. Does anyone think there's any way to justify the X10 given my current micro four-thirds lineup?

Why did you buy the X10? If you feel you need an enthusiast fixed-lens camera, it's among the best. But your small μ43 bodies and lenses ultimately give you more versatility. So what is the niche in your photography best served my the X10.

Luke... you'll get no argument from me... the numbers are up because I'm in a transitional phase. Now that I have the GX1, the E-PM1 is likely to be going and I'll probably stick with two micro four-thirds cameras, with my G3 eventually turning into either a GH2 or G5. For that matter, my LX3 and SX230 won't be around that much longer, either.

Chuck... I liked the idea of a fixed-lens camera that delivers better image quality than not only most point and shoots, but also better than many of the enthusiast compacts with 1/1.7" sensors. Plus, the camera is fun to hold and work. This was supposed to be the camera that I would grab when I wasn't bringing any extra lenses and gear - which is a decent amount of the time. This would have taken the place of the LX3 in my kit.

But the unusually low price for the GX1 seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up and I already have a decent amount of micro four-thirds glass. As it turns out, the camera is about the same size as the X10 and I imagine travelling with, say, two lenses (one on the camera and the other in the bag) wouldn't be that big a burden.

one should feel free to collect whatever it is that brings them joy. It just seems to me that nearly all of your cameras are identical. I find sometimes it helps to write down a list of what you need (or want) out of different cameras...... it helps to narrow the focus rather then just let GAS rule your buying. From what you're telling us, I guess I'd keep the X10 as the grab out the door compact. Keep the GX1 as your m43 camera and gift or sell off the rest and prepare a spot for a larger gripped m43 camera for handling the longer lenses and then cap yourself off at those 3.

Unless you got the X10 at some amazing price I would take it back since it is still in the box. If you weren't interested enough to rip it open right away... chances are you won't warm to it after the new one on order. You could sell it off later but with more inconvenience than just taking it back to the store. And... if you decide you want one you can always go back and get one when you are more certain. :)

I think you're right Kristen. If the X10 goes away or is replaced before I get another one, then it was meant to be. I suspect the next round of compact enthusiast cameras will be sporting one-inch sensors like the one in the Sony RX100.

I'm with the herd here mate. Take back the X10 while she's in the box - you have enough in your arsenal to cover that gap. Then once the funds are back on your card, console yourself by buying a PL25/1.4. It's a beauty with the GX1 and will make you feel better....;)

Otherwsie enjoy the brilliant line up you already have.

I'm with the herd here mate. Take back the X10 while she's in the box - you have enough in your arsenal to cover that gap. Then once the funds are back on your card, console yourself by buying a PL25/1.4. It's a beauty with the GX1 and will make you feel better....;)

Otherwsie enjoy the brilliant line up you already have.

Yes, the 25mm F1.4 justifies in it's self having a u4/3 body, I would only hope That the 14mm was so good!

You know, I have a niece named Heather who gets a lot of my photo gear. ;) But it's done... the X10 is back at Best Buy on Route 1 in Princeton, New Jersey, never opened. This means I get $150 of its cost back on my Best Buy gift card... so that means either a $150 discount on the LVF-2 or the PanaLeica 25mm f1.4...

Back