Micro 4/3 Should I upgrade?

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
I've recently bought back into :mu43: with an E-P3, 14mm, 14-42mm, 60mm macro and VF-4. Being honest I'm a bit underwhelmed with the E-P3 and am now lusting after an OM-D EM-1 body (MK I). Offloading the E-P3, 14-42 and VF-4 I'd need to outlay another $300.

My main cameras are a Sony RX10 III and a Fuji X100T so I'm looking at a compact third system.

Any advice?

Disclaimer - I'm flirting with divorce if I act. :daz:

Why an E_M1 mkI? What lenses are you thinking of getting? All the lenses you have will work on any m4/3 body, but are you looking to add others?

While m4/3 is compact in general, the E-M1 is the furthest from compact as you can get for an Olympus body until the E-M1x comes out. I'd look at the E-M5 mkII or E-M10 mkII / III first.

I'll add there is a notable difference between the 12mp sensor in your E-P3 and the 16mp sensor in the others. I'll also point out that the E-M1 mkI 16mp is NOT the same as the sensors in the other Olympus bodies.

The Em1.1 is a big step up in all areas from the EP-3. I think it is a good option if you need the better tracking in AF. If you do not and would prefer to have a smaller size, I'd consider the EM5.2 instead. You can always add on a grip if you need it on the EM5, but the grip is always there on the EM1, so it can never be smaller.

I'm assuming that size is a consideration, but I could be wrong.

The EM1 is a fantastic camera that is a joy to use, and it's functions are night and day from the 12mpx rangefinders. But what is it specifically that is underwhelming you with the ep-3? Yes the EM1 has a 16mpx sensor but it is noisy in long exposure and when recovering shadows - more so than even the original em5. But it produces great pictures as do most modern cameras, most of my portfolio was shot with the EM1 (I haven't updated it since moving to Sony): www.simongrimesphoto.com

But it depends what really matters to you - and please factor your wife into that thinking too :)

The Em1.1 is a big step up in all areas from the EP-3. I think it is a good option if you need the better tracking in AF. If you do not and would prefer to have a smaller size, I'd consider the EM5.2 instead. You can always add on a grip if you need it on the EM5, but the grip is always there on the EM1, so it can never be smaller.

This!

E-M5.2 is near perfect camera. If the AF tracking is not really needed, E-M5.2 is excellent compromise between different features and specs. Truly gem with 75 f1.8 and 12-40 f2.8 and also with PL 25 f1.4

Hi all and thanks for your input.
David I'm not thinking so much about adding lenses and would concentrate on macro with the 60mm. My Sony covers 24-600mm and the Fuji covers fast fixed lens.
Andrew I forgot how small the Pen is (had an E-P2 in the day) and the M1.1 has the grip and the back seems less cluttered for easier access.
Simon I was surprised that the P3is pretty useless indoors without flash (yes my kit lens is slow) and even outdoors the DR is not good (heavy shadows).
Luke been looking at ebay but the M1.1 seems cheaper s/h in Oz. Currently watching an auction at $305 with 4 hours to go.
Matero I started looking at M5.1 and not much cheaper than an M1.1. The M5.2 is very rare on the down under market which is probably a sign it is well regarded.

Will keep you updated.

good luck on that auction, Bill. Right near the holidays is a GREAT time to try to score a steal at auction.....people that NEED stuff for a deadline are snapping up things at set sale prices....and many hobbyists have no spare cash to spend on themselves at the holidays....buying something nice for the wife ;)

Hi all and thanks for your input.
David I'm not thinking so much about adding lenses and would concentrate on macro with the 60mm. My Sony covers 24-600mm and the Fuji covers fast fixed lens.
Andrew I forgot how small the Pen is (had an E-P2 in the day) and the M1.1 has the grip and the back seems less cluttered for easier access.
Simon I was surprised that the P3is pretty useless indoors without flash (yes my kit lens is slow) and even outdoors the DR is not good (heavy shadows).
Luke been looking at ebay but the M1.1 seems cheaper s/h in Oz. Currently watching an auction at $305 with 4 hours to go.
Matero I started looking at M5.1 and not much cheaper than an M1.1. The M5.2 is very rare on the down under market which is probably a sign it is well regarded.

Will keep you updated.

I got this for $413 AUD posted - that's about $290 USD. Happy with that.

Wish I would have seen your responses yesterday. High mode and focus stacking are options on the E-M5 mkII, not sure if focus stacking was added through FW on the E-M1 mkI? But both would be pluses for macro work. Kind of surprised to hear it's rare in AU, but markets are different.

Back