Show "Animal"

I think I'm in love - they certainly appear to be. What's the name of this kind of cow/cattle? I just love the way they look. It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite reach their name.

There were a small herd of them, I think they were all bullocks (perhaps you're more used to them being called steers), so castrated males, less than 1 year old. I'm not sure if they are pure south Devon breed or crosses. They are certainly the right colour for south Devons. That breed is actually quite docile and as a farmer you're allowed to put a south Devon bull in a field with a public footpath through it, for some breeds that's not allowed. The south Devon is a pretty large beast when full grown and can be used for both beef and milk.

Barrie

Thank you, Barrie. I think they're awfully cute and quite endearing with their coloring and thatch of curls. Ah, to be in England again...or at least to get out to the countryside not too far from where I live.

P.S. I so hope these are milkers!

Thank you, Barrie. I think they're awfully cute and quite endearing with their coloring and thatch of curls. Ah, to be in England again...or at least to get out to the countryside not too far from where I live.

P.S. I so hope these are milkers!

Sorry BBW, roast beef of old England :sorry:

Here's a link about the breed South Devon cattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You live and learn, I've never heard them referred to as "Orange Elephants", and I'm a native Devonian, my parents house backed onto a farm with a well known pedigree herd of these guys.

Barrie

R00330772.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back