The Random Image Thread

DP1
3755799251_3ded4fa440_b.jpg

Will, I need to know what that plant is and if you just happened to find it there. As soon as I saw this photo of yours, it made me smile. To me, there's something happy about it...perhaps even humorous in a witty way? I just like it - a whole lot. Great details and juxtaposition of textures in all those layers.

Neil, beautiful - your panorama is subtle and lovely...and has, to me, a very painterly quality which I mean as a compliment. If you have it on your website in a larger size, I'd love to know.

BB I just came across it whilst i walked along the beach and, admiring its tenacity, I thought I should honor it with a portrait. It turned out to be one of my favorite images. Glad you like it as well.

Crambe maritima (common name Sea kale) is a halophytic perennial plant in the genus Crambe that grows wild along the coasts of Europe, from the North Atlantic to the Black Sea. It has large fleshy glaucous collard-like leaves and abundant white flowers. The seeds come one each in globular pods.
The plant is sometimes grown as an ornamental but its most common use is as a blanched vegetable. Along the coast of England, where it is commonly found above High Tide Mark on shingle beaches, local people heaped loose shingle around the naturally occurring root crowns in springtime, thus blanching the emerging shoots. By the early 18th Century it had become established as a garden vegetable, but its height of popularity was the early 19th Century when sea kale appeared in Thomas Jefferson's Garden Book of 1809, and it was served at the Prince Regent's Royal Pavilion in Brighton.

BB I just came across it whilst i walked along the beach and, admiring its tenacity, I thought I should honor it with a portrait. It turned out to be one of my favorite images. Glad you like it as well.

Crambe maritima (common name Sea kale) is a halophytic perennial plant in the genus Crambe that grows wild along the coasts of Europe, from the North Atlantic to the Black Sea. It has large fleshy glaucous collard-like leaves and abundant white flowers...

Will, I appreciate all the details - I'm sure I'd like the taste of this tenacious sea kale since I am a Broccoli Rabe/Rapini addict. Your portrait does the Crambe maritima, great honor.:D

Thanks Pictor for your subtle and lovely graphic image of this street scene. I appreciate your showing us what the Canon S90 can do very much.

Bill - what a difference a few centuries can make depending upon one's point of view. It's good for me the armchair traveler to have a reality check included so I don't swoon completely.;)

This one is from my recent holidays in Valencia. I didnt have a tripod, but I managed to to lean the camera on something and get this shot. The Ricoh GX200 is very nice for this kind of light:
R0011318r.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

f3.2, 0.8s, ISO100, 5.1mm

Beautiful reflection and evening light, gsaronni! (Why is it that I don't know more about these Ricoh cameras?)

Thanks, I will try to show more from this camera. I feel here is not considered a very serious compact:), but when I used it the first time I felt it was the most pro small compact on the market(I have not used the GRD models)

A lovely view, Pictor. Clearly you and the S90 have got a good thing going - and wonderful colors, too. That red bicycle is just the right touch of color and pulls us back to this century.

Back