Architecture Show: Bad Architecture

I'd love to see that one! And this is just part of an eyesore, currently being erected where I live...

View attachment 242937

Right at the waterfront. Nobody except the "democratically elected decision-makers" and the Saudi owned property company wanted a giant hotel/congress center blocking the view.

Obviously they were not in on the Covid-19 conspiracy 😂
Sorry, so would I, but the last couple of weeks and the ongoing pandemic have made casual travel not feasible for me. That may (or may not) change during the next couple of weeks - though I'm rather pessimistic (Switzerland pushes absurdly high case numbers ...).

M.

Sorry, so would I, but the last couple of weeks and the ongoing pandemic have made casual travel not feasible for me. That may (or may not) change during the next couple of weeks - though I'm rather pessimistic (Switzerland pushes absurdly high case numbers ...).
M.

I'll wait for it. 🙂 Glad to hear that the Swiss aren't neutral in the Virus Wars!

It looks like the local builders merchants had a special offer on steel tubes that month.
-R

I'm suspecting architectural kickbacks.

Fun facts:

1) MIDROC (Mohammed International Development Research and Organization Companies) is a company owned by Sheik Mohammed Hussein Al Amoudi.

He was one of the many high ranking Saudis indicted in the November 2017 anti-corruption drive of Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, when MBS was consolidating his hold of power in Saudi Arabia.

He was released in January 2019.

2) the mayoral equivalent in our city, Peter Danielsson, is, like everyone else nowadays, a staunch supporter of the environment.

On one occasion, when asked by the local newspaper what mode of transportation he used to get to the soccer stadium (a couple hundred meters from City Hall), for an important game during the week, he answered: "Naturally, I walked! Bla bla blabla, environment!".

Unfortunately he was also spotted getting out of a car at the stadium at the day of the game.

When asked to comment, a few days later, his reply was: "I forgot that! But it wasn't my car. I got a ride with a colleague!".

Some things you remember.
Some things you forget.

Completely unrelated, he was pushing very hard to get this MIDROC project, with the new conference center, to completion.

As he said: "This will cost our citizens absolutely nothing, and will make our beloved city a beacon of progress!"

I'm paraphrasing here, but just a little bit.

Big fry.
Small fry.

Last edited:
A macro lens should sort that Matt. I *think* things are about to get pretty bad here in Sydney, so I'll be using mine around the house assuming I'm locked in. In the meantime, here's another bad building from a Chinatown stroll yesterday..

R0030265 copy.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A macro lens should sort that Matt. I *think* things are about to get pretty bad here in Sydney, so I'll be using mine around the house assuming I'm locked in. In the meantime, here's another bad building from a Chinatown stroll yesterday..

View attachment 243238
Ray, I was basically out of time and in no mood to mix with people - we're not forbidden from leaving the house at least, though sometimes I think it would be for the better, seeing as many people around here just don't take enough precautions and the pandemic is accelerating again a week before Christmas. As the situation deteriorates, things get more and more strained - and people get more and more anxious and short-tempered; not a good time to be in any crowded areas, I feel. However, the shops will be closed completely over the upcoming holidays, as well as all restaurants, so city centers will be basically deserted - a better time to try my luck.

I have, however, prepared the light tent for serious exploration - you never know what may happen. After all, one of my closest colleagues tested positive this Wednesday. Once I find myself confined to my own four walls, I'll certainly heed your advice ... But we're not quite there yet.

M.

OK, here's one.

View attachment 236020

But what the hell is that building in the foreground? The one which is just an array of black windows. It's in every shot you see of the Empire State Building taken from this side, and I think it's horrible. I don't know its name, and if I did I would nominate it for immediate demolition.

-R
That is the W.R. Grace Building.

I agree it isn't a particularly elegant facade, although it is slightly more interesting from other angles.

- K

I get it; built to withstand the most fearsome bomb and designed with a nod to the environment with multiple solar panels et all. There is a reason for this. But balanced against that, it's hard to avoid the appearance of it being the latest fantasy of oligarchs and sheiks, common around this particular area of the city. In that regard, the US Embassy in London, unfortunately in my opinion, qualifies for a place in this thread.

L1019934 Bad Architecture.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then again, my favourite Embassy is the Papua New Guinea Embassy in Canberra, Australia; this has the outward appearance of a hut; so what do I know?

Your typical 60/ 70s office architecture where I am although to be fair, many of these type of stale buildings which spoil the more traditional older dwellings which surround them are being knocked down in favour of more modern buildings. The question is whether the new buildings sprouting up will improve things.
Bad Architecture.jpg

Back