Show best of the month - March 2013

@ Ray
Man, you took that image a long way ... I think I may have left that shot unprocessed, just walked away. Good job of seeing and unlocking all that potential.

Gary

Gary, I can't tell you how many of my better street shots work that way. I have to just ignore what the file looks like when I first bring it up and see if there's a kernel of an image there. If there is, I process it and see if there's enough to work with. Sometimes there is, sometimes there's not. But if I just went with stuff that looked good right off the bat, I would never have seen a LOT of my better street shots. Every now and then, one of those happens, and I usually know it from the moment I take the shot. But I find a lot more hidden gems that look like misses than obvious hits. I mean, I saw SOMETHING there or I wouldn't have taken the shot in the first place, but there are a lot more misses than hits when I go through a days' shooting. This is part of why I enjoy the editing and culling almost as much as the shooting - its ALL a process of discovery. Its also part of why I appreciate better gear. The percentage of files you can find something good in is a LOT higher with an RX1 or an OMD than there was with an EP2 or GRD3. Even though you can obviously take fine photos with those cameras too, but there's a lot more margin for error with better sensors. And its not like its a lot of work - I didn't spend more than 2-3 minutes working on processing that shot. I can usually tell pretty quickly and with tools like SEP2, the start to finish process is pretty damn quick.

-Ray

I don't know if the X-E1 counts as a Serious Compact so I'll go with this SOOC JPEG shot with the E-PL1 + 35mm f1.7. I just wish she didn't have the bib on (or the food on her face!).

View attachment 67354
P3110872 by ericarthur, on Flickr

Yes the X-E1 is a serious compact and there's NOTHING to apologize for in this shot - its absolutely beautiful. Wearing a bib and with a little bit of food on her cheek is where and how she lives. Its perfect!

-Ray

The first one looks pretty good but I'm not sure I like the snakes in his beard or hair the second filter creates...

-Ray

too true but aspects of the jacket work I think - no way of graduating the filter as far as I can see
These were applied over the total photo & not individual elements
Thanks

I run a bit behind as I usually have some rolls waiting, and in fact I'm still waiting for some E6 back from the lab (they've managed to send it to someone else, and sent me their entirely blank roll!) ... but I can't hang on any longer ... so ...

8597940550_985fc91a20_z.jpg

20130328-2 by _loupe, on Flickr

Back