Show "Bicycle"

(Singlespeed) The answer is "both." There is a separate category for s.s. (one men, one women), but some people choose to race in the normal cats with a s.s. bike anyway... usually some of the strongest folks. And no, that mud tears up drivetrains regularly. My wife's, for example... just replaced everything a week ago, which was a nice upgrade.
There's a few single speed/fixed riders whom I ride with and these guys/gals can hang on both the steep hillclimbs and long road rides we do. I chalk it up to youth and still healthy knees! Last week I did over 100 miles of climbing last week and I have to take a couple days off just for them to heal from the punishment! 😭

One of my SS bikes is geared more for long flatter stretches of cruising, while another is better on hills. Even then, I'm not a strong hill climber. My knees are fine, but I've never done 100 miles in a single week, much less climbing hills. If I push myself much beyond 30 miles, I pay for it for a day or two. Then again, I'm just about 20 years older than Jonathan.

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃 everyone! Knocked out my morning ride with some of my cycling buddies. The park where I ride was packed with turkey day cyclists trying to get their early workout in before the big meal!

On the flats we were smoked by this small female sprinter who just flew passed by 20 cyclists! My buddies and I are pretty strong, so we tried keeping pace, but she just left us in the dust! This is what amazes me about biking, size doesn't really matter, it's all about the human motor! (y)

griffith.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

One of the things I really don't like about this time of year is my lack of consistency. There's so much yard work - although I do enjoy being out in the fresh air - and so many other distractions. It's also the yearly two week deer rifle season, and I stay out of the woods, even in areas that are off limits to hunting. With a run of really nice weather, I found myself throwing open the garage a lot of days and just spending hours working on woodworking projects. I hadn't been on a bike other than the indoor trainer in almost 3 weeks. I kept telling myself I need to put other things aside and go for a ride, but just couldn't push myself to do it. So yesterday, I went out for 45 minutes on a cold and rainy morning. It was a slow, casual ride, but I really needed it.

Saturday, we went to Portland with bikes, via the local bus service. Really nice way to do it... avoids us having to drive the ancient '88 4runner an hour each way (at 18mpg), and $30 a year = unlimited rides. The occasion was picking up the awards and medals for the bike racing team. We thought it was all really small, so having just bikes would be ok... but there was a big box per person, and we were grabbing stuff for 7 people. We made it work, by unpacking all but 2 boxes, and cramming everything from them into the bike bags we had. Only thing that sucked was the weather... low 40s and constant rain, the entire time.

KBRX7877.jpg

KBRX7906.jpg

And Sunday, a friend got us out of the house to go ride an alpine gravel road. One of the larger spurs off Mt Hood, called Cooper Spur, has a ski area on it, and then a gravel road from there up to an old Inn that goes back to the 1890s called Cloud Cap. This time of year, they block the gravel road off for the last 9 miles, as it would be impassable once the snow starts. But it hasn't started yet! So you can bike around the gate and cruise car-free. We didn't make it all the way, not enough day light. But it was gorgeous, albeit COLD when descending! 30 degrees F out, so climbing slowly uphill for about 5 miles was great, you get steamy warm. But brother, when you turn downhill and start bombing down at 15-20 mph, your hands and feet turn to blocks ice within a minute. We all had to stop and walk for periods of time to warm up... was so odd to walk DOWNHILL.

KBRX7942.jpg

Kiddo and I took a pitstop to enjoy the last 10 minutes of the sun. Nothing but stumps and logs to sit on, as far as the eye can see.

KBRX7948.jpg

KBRX7960.jpg

KBRX7983.jpg

Running in circles to warm up, before heading back downhill.

KBRX7966.jpg

I spent the weekend swapping my GRX 400 parts onto a Poseidon X alloy gravel frame. I rerouted the shift gears internally using Jagwire sports cabling (very nice), but I was being a lazy butt and routed the hydraulic cabling externally using 3M stick-on cable guides. In the process I cut about 4 lbs, even though I wasn't really trying to be a weight weenie! 😁

DSC_9269.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got around to rerouting my hydraulic brakes internally which was a big PITA. The front transferred over okay, but my rear brake is still a bit spongy, so it'll probably require another bleed! Overall though the bike looks a lot cleaner with everything routed internally. I'm also running a new SRAM chain, which surprisingly shifts quite nicely with my Shimano drivetrain! Also I picked up some Adidas SPD shoes mainly for the classic styling! ;)

211226_HILL_CLIMBER_FRIOLO_010.jpg

211226_HILL_CLIMBER_FRIOLO_011.jpg

I have a serious problem! 😭 😆

While I've been working on my gravel bike, I've been doing some more refinements on my road bike! I added Shimano ice tech rotors which definitely seem to work better on fast descents while cutting almost 70g from each rotor and I swapped the crank arms to 175mm (from 170mm), for more torque while riding out-of-saddle. My gravel bike is paired with 165mm crank arms, but I ride that bike on more technical terrain. One bike is all torque, while the other bike is for high cadence/RPMs!

DSC_9583.jpg

We finally had some dry weather here in LA and took the gravel bike out for a 2 hour ride! The bike is running at 100% with every bolt properly torqued, every bearing greased, the derailleurs carefully tuned and fit adjusted right down to the centimeter! There's a real satisfaction building out your own bike, especially when you make your own one-off setup!

DSC_9625.jpg

Back