Show "Bicycle"

Try to get away at least once a year for a week or more with a preference for off-road or at least dirt roads/track riding.

Next ride will be about 12+ days with a mix of beaches, 4WD tracks, single track and bitumen.
Nice! Do you carry all you need, or do you also forage for food to extend your outing?

Some people Bikepack across states, even continents. I once thought about it.
I've looked at that site from time to time. I find that inspiring and a bit . . . unsettling, maybe. I'm no stranger to long day trips, way out in the woods, far from my car. But at the end of the day, I've always been back home or in a hotel room. I camped from time to time in my younger years. I'd like to try an overnight bike trip later this year. But right now, I don't even own a lightweight tent or sleeping bag.

Back to looking at your bikes. Sorry for the hijack.

Nice! Do you carry all you need, or do you also forage for food to extend your outing?

I normally do to carry all I need if the ride is sub seven days, but on this particular ride will likely re-supply at least once. With bikepacking my carrying capacity is more limited so can only carry about seven days of food on the bike itself. That said I am setup to use the Extrawheel Voyager [seen in the photos below] trailer on the Salsa Mukluk if I am going even more remote and need to carry more food and water than I can with just the bike.

The planned ride this year is connecting Esperance to Albany here in Western Australia but avoiding where possible highways and bitumen roads [not always possible :( ] and basically following the coast as much as possible through the Fitzergerald River National Park. In my past life I have walked one side to the other of the Fitzergerald River National Park before there was any walk trails. That was eight days of beaches and trackless walking. We had to carry all our food and do two water drops which at least limited our water carrying to around two to three days at a time. This time it will be in luxury :)

Bicycle touring, e.g., on my Chasing my Dirt tour I had to carry 15 days food at one point along with a max of about six days of water (35 litres). The first photo is about two or three days into that section of the ride IIRC so still fairly loaded with water [blue bladder you can see on the on the back rack would have had started out with 10 litres in it along with two more 10 litre bladders in the rear panniers].

Apologies for the images. I need to track down the original images and re-edit them. Another thing on the to-do list :(

P9020575.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

192 kilometres to the next shower, 391 kilometres to the beer :)

P9080683.jpg

Last edited:
Early Mongoose IBOC from before they started selling cheaper bikes to Walmart. This one has an Aluminum frame, Specialized flat bars, and Shimano 105 components.
Taken with a Motorola Razor.
large.jpg

Hm. My experience this week suggests the need for a parallel thread to this one, called "Broken Collarbone"....

I mean, that *is* part of cycling, if you do it long enough. Took me 20 years+ to get around to it.

Let's hope it's a short thread, however.

[Undocumented feature for most SC: you can hold them relatively steady one-handed. <g>]

Back