Show "Bicycle"

Social distancing at its best. 17 miles of listening to the sound of rushing rivers and bird calls.

P5130071A.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I kind of went extreme today. I drove to one of my favorite woodland trails, originally planning for a 40 mile out-and-back, but I decided to go all the way to the next "major" town. I ended up doing 49.3 miles. Beautiful day with weather that was actually fairly cool much of the morning, but hit the low 80s by the time I got back to the car. It didn't help that I ran out of water and protein bars for about the last 8 miles. I was wiped, and it took a lot longer to get back to my car than I'd planned. Note to self: 40 oz of water is not enough for a nearly 50 mile bike ride. Note to self #2: pack more snacks.

North Bend.jpg

I just bought a Jones H-Bar for my Norco Bigfoot to complete it's transformation into a bikepacking rig.

It should also alleviate the numb hands and lower back pain I've been getting on long rides from leaning too far forward...

I just bought a Jones H-Bar for my Norco Bigfoot to complete it's transformation into a bikepacking rig.

It should also alleviate the numb hands and lower back pain I've been getting on long rides from leaning too far forward...
That was a big problem for me yesterday. At times I had a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders, and hand numbness as well. I finally stopped and adjusted my stem to try to alleviate the issue, but by that time I was so exhausted, it only helped a little.

That was a big problem for me yesterday. At times I had a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders, and hand numbness as well. I finally stopped and adjusted my stem to try to alleviate the issue, but by that time I was so exhausted, it only helped a little.

I recently bought a new very short stem for my dual suspension XC bike (a little bit less than 50mm but no rise) because I always felt like I was leaning too far forward to hold the bar. The difference is chalk and cheese, much more comfortable to ride and no back pain.

That prompted the move to a H-bar for the Bigfoot, much more relaxed wrist angle and more rise too... I'll probably be spending alot more time on that rig when I move down south soon...

I recently bought a new very short stem for my dual suspension XC bike (a little bit less than 50mm but no rise) because I always felt like I was leaning too far forward to hold the bar. The difference is chalk and cheese, much more comfortable to ride and no back pain.

That prompted the move to a H-bar for the Bigfoot, much more relaxed wrist angle and more rise too... I'll probably be spending alot more time on that rig when I move down south soon...
Thanks for that info, Troy. I'll investigate those options for my Trek.

Well guys, I ordered a Jones SG Loop H-Bar with 2.5" rise and 710mm spread. It also comes with a set of Jones Kraton grips. Monday was not the first time I've had neck and shoulder pain on long rides, so hopefully this will put that to rest.

I took the updated Bigfoot for its first outing this afternoon, 11km up hill and down dale with no pain... :yahoo:

I'll grab a photo of it tomorrow, when I take the long way home along the salt flats after work. I was having too much fun to stop today. Feels like I'm riding a Harley...

Before and after. I was a real shade tree mechanic this afternoon (an old American coloquialism).

From the mind of Jeff Jones in Oregon, USA, the new bar arrived right after I got home from my early morning bike ride. I'm hoping it makes a world of difference. I rode 8.4 miles (13.4 km) this morning, and had planned on going further, but started getting numbness in my hands, wrists, and elbows starting around 7 miles. Jeff said he originally developed his version of the H-Bar to alleviate the same numbness issue, and a short test ride around our neighborhood felt a lot better on my arms and back. The original bar had a 750mm span, 9 degree backsweep, and 15 mm rise. The new one has a 710 mm span, 45 degree backsweep, and 63.5 mm rise. Looking forward to taking it out Monday for a much longer ride.

DSCF0017.JPG

DSCF0018.JPG

Back