Show "Bicycle"

Bike.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The 45 degree bend bars are somewhat of a must, for me, on any bike I plan on spending time on. Your wrists are not meant to be flared out at the angle that most flat, stock bars require.
They definitely make a big difference. I put similar bars on my hybrid bike, although they are 15 degree sweep instead of 45. But I had already raised my stem on that bike a lot, so I didn't want the 45 degree sweep on that one.

From the mind of Jeff Jones in Oregon, USA, the new bar arrived right after I got home from my early morning bike ride. I'm hoping it makes a world of difference. I rode 8.4 miles (13.4 km) this morning, and had planned on going further, but started getting numbness in my hands, wrists, and elbows starting around 7 miles. Jeff said he originally developed his version of the H-Bar to alleviate the same numbness issue, and a short test ride around our neighborhood felt a lot better on my arms and back.

I have a Jones H Bar on my Salsa Mukluk. I find it really comfortable for that bike and the style of riding I do with it.

50164120878_31b4e9a5eb_h.jpg

Whoops – Steps – Walkers Only – JWR #003 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

With the relaxing of Covid-19 restrictions somewhat and having a few days leave, I took the opportunity to take my Salsa Mukluk fatbike for an overnighter to the Munda Biddi campsite at Wungong.

The first brief section of the ride was sneaking out of Jarrahdale on the Wattle Trail (a walking trail).

View attachment 230335
Whoops – Steps – Walkers Only – JWR #003 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

With the relaxing of Covid-19 restrictions somewhat and having a few days leave, I took the opportunity to take my Salsa Mukluk fatbike for an overnighter to the Munda Biddi campsite at Wungong.

The first brief section of the ride was sneaking out of Jarrahdale on the Wattle Trail (a walking trail).
I've never done an overnighter with my bike. I've thought about it, but never followed through.

Being the inveterate tinkerer that I am, I decided to convert my Trek hybrid from 3X9 to 1X9. I rarely used the left shifter, so I just removed all but the middle 36T chainring from the crankset, as well as the front derailleur and cable. All it cost me was a front brake lever to replace the original integrated shifter/brake lever, and some short chainring bolts. I'm casting about now for a cheap donor bike for my next project, a single speed trail/gravel bike. It's eye-watering what some people demand for old 80s and 90s steel frames, even ones that are basically junk.

1X.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back