Show "Bicycle"

I ended up flipping my stem to give my bike a more aggressive ride. I have no problem riding my back parallel to the ground, plus it looks cooler! On a side note, I've been debating if I want to swap out my tires for some fatter Panaracer GravelKing slicks. I was thinking of going with their 700 x 38c tires. The slicks would still be good for light trail riding, but better optimized for urban tarmac. I have a feeling in about a year, my bike will be composed of completely new parts! :roflmao:

Anyways, a couple new shots from my weekend bike ride and my road map! :D

Shot with the Nikon 1 J5 + 10mm f/2.8 -

The Lady of Los Angeles offering her blessing:
50764880357_b7448e79cd_h.jpg

Riding through - Los Angeles, California US
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Rolling through Chinatown:
50764879602_a164d22c20_h.jpg

Running the bike stem parallel:
50764036323_4f1c932b41_h.jpg

Chilling after the ride:
50764882582_65bf57c04a_h.jpg

My daughter gave me a sticker to be watched over by the Force:
50764058783_d92d76258b_h.jpg

I make for the worst road cyclist!
133629273_10157730964972327_2085896781856006648_o.jpg

Last edited:
You are so tempting me to convert my new build to single speed, something I had strongly considered anyway. Except we have hills around here, big hills.
I only picked up this single speed mainly because it was cheaper than buying a geared bike (with similar components and frame) and for the fitness challenge! I'm already seeing the limitations with a single speed though. Mainly for longer rides where my stamina won't hold up riding at full speed and hill rides with steep elevation. Though I find with toe clips I can attack the hills a bit easier and use my leg strength. I also have a pair of wider MTB pedals and clipless pedals (can't find my shoes though). I plan to experiment more to see which works better for me.

Sorry for spamming this thread, but it's one of the semi-normal things I can do right now in Los Angeles especially during these interesting times! ;)

20201227_161324_HDR~2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
20201227_154307~2.jpg
20201227_162201_HDR~3.jpg
20201227_161618_HDR~2.jpg
20201227_154256_HDR~2.jpg

No apologies necessary. Many of us enjoy cycling as much as we do photography. For me the two go hand-in-hand.
I've decided to create weekly bike challenges for myself with the single speed. My next bike ride I plan to do the Griffith Park loop. it should be fairly easy with a geared bike, a major challenge on the uphill with a steel single speed. When I was at the park yesterday, they were lots of serious riders on their geared carbon Cervelo, Trek, and Specialized bikes! If I pace myself and load myself up with clean carbs and protein the day before, I think I can pull it off! :D

Also, whether he realizes it or not, Tony has built a Monstercross bike. Usually they have drop bars, but the rest is spot on. Pat yourself on the back for getting 95% of the fun of a $2,000 All City "Gorilla Monsoon" for less dough. Also, this is the style of bike I'd most like to have at the moment. If you're willing to pick your lines carefully, you can ride these on all but the worst MTB trails. And yet they still haul butt on pavement and gravel. And something happened to me out here, where I went from "never spent any time on drop bars / don't get the appeal" to "I think I prefer them." Might even convert my old 2000 Fisher Mt Tam to drop bars one day (gasp).

Also, whether he realizes it or not, Tony has built a Monstercross bike. Usually they have drop bars, but the rest is spot on. Pat yourself on the back for getting 95% of the fun of a $1,500 All City "Gorilla Monsoon" for less dough. Also, this is the style of bike I'd most like to have at the moment. If you're willing to pick your lines carefully, you can ride these on all but the worst MTB trails. And yet they still haul butt on pavement and gravel. And something happened to me out here, where I went from "never spent any time on drop bars / don't get the appeal" to "I think I prefer them." Might even convert my old 2000 Fisher Mt Tam to drop bars one day (gasp).
It has crossed my mind that my frame is very similar to such a beast. It is also noticeably more stable than the aluminum frame that used to carry all that hardware, being several pounds heavier and having 475mm chainstays. The very first bike I bought for myself when I was in high school had one speed, a coaster brake, and drop bars. I rode it from our hilltop home down to my part-time job in the valley, no helmet, and never once considering that I was toast if my chain snapped or even just dropped. Nowdays, I'm in the camp of having no interest in drop bars.

I did my last bike ride for the year on the not so beautiful LA River bike path. This area has been seeing growth with a bike coffee shop and brewery, but it still has a long way to go before matching other bike friendly cities! I also rode on an adjacent LA River horse riding trail, but it somewhat smells of horse poop! 🐴💩

Anyways, I added a new saddle and swapped out the bar tape to something a bit more grippier. I think eventually if I get bored, I might do one of those integrated rear hub e-bike conversions! I've seen a few converted and they really haul a**! :D

A few shots from the day:
50785502151_7116f214d0_h.jpg

Bike riding through the Los Angeles River - Los Angeles, California USA

50785600307_97170cc644_h.jpg

50785600917_1bb22ef61c_h.jpg

50785500941_e87dd07296_h.jpg

Thanks Jonathan; I could go on and on about my bikes but have to remember this is a photography site :) I do envy your year round riding weather in LA.
I'm interested hearing everything bike related! I now catch myself checking out other bikes on the street. As for myself, I just picked up my single speed for fitness and to have a bit of outdoor freedom, but now I'm debating what direction to go next. I could potentially sell a lens for a new bike upgrade! :D

Last edited:
Happy 2021 Everyone! I forgot to post these photos. Since Los Angeles is essentially shutdown, the unintended outcome are massive empty parking lots! On the plus side is that they're blocked off and fun to ride your bikes through! I brought my kids riding at the empty LA Zoo parking lot. I converted them to B&W to add to the mood!

50787695468_5a96acc008_h.jpg

50788453001_7831000b44_h.jpg

50788558677_e2a4c11edb_h.jpg

Last edited:
Man, you're putting us to shame. I did do 40 minutes on our new spin bike today, watching the birds playing in the rain outside the window. My goal has been to do 30-60 minutes of cycling daily, either on the spin bike or outside.

Man, you're putting us to shame. I did do 40 minutes on our new spin bike today, watching the birds playing in the rain outside the window. My goal has been to do 30-60 minutes of cycling daily, either on the spin bike or outside.
I've actually been neglecting my weight training, mainly because I'm bored lifting weights at home. I used to look forward to the gym (currently closed in LA) both for a change of scenery and the social aspect. Riding bikes at least allows for a change of view and the added perk of urban exploration!

I'm interested hearing everything bike related! I now catch myself checking out other bikes on the street. As for myself, I just picked up my single speed for fitness and to have a bit of outdoor freedom, but now I'm debating what direction to go next. I could potentially sell a lens for a new bike upgrade! :D
IMG_0315.JPG
Bicycling and photography go great together. The scenery goes by at an agreeable rate, neither too slowly - like walking, nor too quickly - like driving. One thing I'd recommend is a handlebar bag with flip-up lid so it's easy to pull the camera out one-handed. If my camera is too packed away it tends not to get used :)

View attachment 244487Bicycling and photography go great together. The scenery goes by at an agreeable rate, neither too slowly - like walking, nor too quickly - like driving. One thing I'd recommend is a handlebar bag with flip-up lid so it's easy to pull the camera out one-handed. If my camera is too packed away it tends not to get used :)

Is that a classic steel frame bike I see in that photo? :D

I've been tempted to carry bigger cameras on my bike rides, but I've been putting my compact 1" sensor Nikon 1 J5 into service. It's lightweight, has an exceptional sensor and it allows raw editing capabilities. since it's so small, I have mine slung around my shoulder with a grippy neoprene strap, so it tends to hold in place easily. I usually just carry the 10mm f/2.8 pancake prime (equivalent to a 28mm) for ease of use.

I agree, biking and photography go well together. I'm able to cover more ground than street/walking photography, but I'm not rushed and can stop in most places unlike driving a car!

Is that a classic steel frame bike I see in that photo? :D

I've been tempted to carry bigger cameras on my bike rides, but I've been putting my compact 1" sensor Nikon 1 J5 into service. It's lightweight, has an exceptional sensor and it allows raw editing capabilities. since it's so small, I have mine slung around my shoulder with a grippy neoprene strap, so it tends to hold in place easily. I usually just carry the 10mm f/2.8 pancake prime (equivalent to a 28mm) for ease of use.

I agree, biking and photography go well together. I'm able to cover more ground than street/walking photography, but I'm not rushed and can stop in most places unlike driving a car!

Those small Nikons are great, and agree that slung over shoulder works well. Wish Nikon (or someone) would have furthered the 1" sensor ILC concept. I also carry a compact camera, either the Canon G1X-3 or the Panasonic Dc-ZS200, and no longer own any ILC cameras, as they got left at home (too big). Maybe if I had a Nikon 1...

The frame in the photo is welded steel, small diameter thinwall tubing (for frame flex), though I also have a couple of nice lugged steel frames. I like cameras and love bikes, but that priority may change if I ever get too old to ride :)

Back