Show "Bicycle"

Those small Nikons are great, and agree that slung over shoulder works well. Wish Nikon (or someone) would have furthered the 1" sensor ILC concept. I also carry a compact camera, either the Canon G1X-3 or the Panasonic Dc-ZS200, and no longer own any ILC cameras, as they got left at home (too big). Maybe if I had a Nikon 1...

The frame in the photo is welded steel, small diameter thinwall tubing (for frame flex), though I also have a couple of nice lugged steel frames. I like cameras and love bikes, but that priority may change if I ever get too old to ride :)
I'd probably be fine with a compact M43 body as well, I just happen to have the Nikon 1 as my small P&S!

I was actually just reading an article detailing the differences between welded and lugged steel bike frames! Bikes are definitely very similar in concept to cameras in terms of usage, components and customization. It's a bit overwhelming, but fun at the same time! :)

I'd probably be fine with a compact M43 body as well, I just happen to have the Nikon 1 as my small P&S!

I was actually just reading an article detailing the differences between welded and lugged steel bike frames! Bikes are definitely very similar in concept to cameras in terms of usage, components and customization. It's a bit overwhelming, but fun at the same time! :)
I don't know, my impression is that modern 1" sensors are pretty close to their m4/3 counterparts and the lenses are definitely smaller. Anyway, a 1' ILC is not going to happen!

Welded steel bicycle frames are cheaper to build, a bit lighter for a given strength, and get the job done (a Sony?). Lugged steel is plenty light, beautiful, and has that placebo-inducing feel (a Fuji?). The best bike I ever owned was welded steel (Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel) but my favorite bike is lugged steel (Pegoretti Luigino). Okay, I promise no more off-topic bicycle talk :)

I did 30 minutes on the spin bike earlier, than went out and did another 36 on Big Red. I want to increase my fitness through the next 3 months, as I plan to do a 62 mile ride on my 62nd birthday near the end of March.

BigRed.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I did 30 minutes on the spin bike earlier, than went out and did another 36 on Big Red. I want to increase my fitness through the next 3 months, as I plan to do a 62 mile ride on my 62nd birthday near the end of March.
That looks like a very fun bike - Jones bars? I also no longer use drop bars. Good luck on your upcoming 62 miler. That's an ambitious ride (definitely more than I've done in awhile), especially since I've heard you have one or two hills in your area...

That looks like a very fun bike - Jones bars? I also no longer use drop bars. Good luck on your upcoming 62 miler. That's an ambitious ride (definitely more than I've done in awhile), especially since I've heard you have one or two hills in your area...
They are Jones bars, and it is indeed a fun bike. We do have hills around here and a lot of steep single-track, but I can reach some trails within 1-2 hours from my house that are flat or just slightly inclined.

Hey has anyone considered e-bike conversion kits? I've been looking at front hub conversion kits as an easy bolt-on alternative. I like the idea of picking up a used bike for the sole purpose of electric conversion! I could probably size down to lighten the chassis for weight savings, and it'd allow for more aggressive posturing while e-bike riding!

Hey has anyone considered e-bike conversion kits? I've been looking at front hub conversion kits as an easy bolt-on alternative. I like the idea of picking up a used bike for the sole purpose of electric conversion! I could probably size down to lighten the chassis for weight savings, and it'd allow for more aggressive posturing while e-bike riding!
I've done a conversion - but later reverted to unaided biking. It's very unfortunate that BionX have folded - the kit (their strongest one) was really performing well - mine was even capable of driving completely without pedaling (illegal in Switzerland - and since I didn't actually want that, I only used it a couple of times). It may sound strange, but I discovered that I enjoy "real" cycling a lot more - in the last year before I removed the kit and rebuilt the bike, I did only about 300km on the e-bike and more than 3000km on the other bikes (including a 900km tour that summer). So it goes ...

Having said that, I would really recommend using a dedicated (strengthened!) frame for any e-bike, converted or not - my frame was/is light and nimble, but really didn't feel that secure with the kit installed (it was a fast kit, too - up to 45km/h!); I frequently experienced situations where I was lucky not to have ended up in some kind of accident. The frame needs to be very stable and strong enough - even a small kit almost doubles the forces exerted on all moving parts, including the axles and ball bearings, and it does so continuously. Oh, and disk breaks are to be preferred, too, hydraulic ones if possible. On a light frame, you risk ruining the frame pretty quickly - as well as your own health ...

M.

I've done a conversion - but later reverted to unaided biking. It's very unfortunate that BionX have folded - the kit (their strongest one) was really performing well - mine was even capable of driving completely without pedaling (illegal in Switzerland - and since I didn't actually want that, I only used it a couple of times). It may sound strange, but I discovered that I enjoy "real" cycling a lot more - in the last year before I removed the kit and rebuilt the bike, I did only about 300km on the e-bike and more than 3000km on the other bikes (including a 900km tour that summer). So it goes ...

Having said that, I would really recommend using a dedicated (strengthened!) frame for any e-bike, converted or not - my frame was/is light and nimble, but really didn't feel that secure with the kit installed (it was a fast kit, too - up to 45km/h!); I frequently experienced situations where I was lucky not to have ended up in some kind of accident. The frame needs to be very stable and strong enough - even a small kit almost doubles the forces exerted on all moving parts, including the axles and ball bearings, and it does so continuously. Oh, and disk breaks are to be preferred, too, hydraulic ones if possible. On a light frame, you risk ruining the frame pretty quickly - as well as your own health ...

M.

What kind of frame were you using? Do you think Chromoly/Reynolds steel would transfer the power better to the frame? I was thinking a steel frame might be best suited versus aluminum or carbon fiber. Also I read people recommend using double torque arms on the frame/fork drop outs to keep the ebike hub secure. I definitely would use disc brakes only and maybe run bigger rotors for more braking surface. I could also use a wider tire if I go with a front hub to gain more traction. For example I was thinking of doing the conversion on a single speed (either my current bike or another purchase) and then using a smaller chainring and free wheel combination for easier pedaling.

The other issues I was thinking of was the placement of the battery. I've seen some setups where they place the battery on a rear mounted rack, though you can also place the battery on the center of the frame in the location of the bottle holders. I'm wondering if there's an optimal placement to provide the best weight ratio to keep the bike feeling secure?

Update: After pricing everything out, I just realized it might be easier and cheaper to buy a dedicated ebike! Maybe I'll have to rethink this whole thing? :D

Back to "bicycle" photos!
50787694328_1d66323860_h.jpg

Bike riding through the Los Angeles River - Los Angeles, California USA
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Last edited:
What kind of frame were you using? Do you think Chromoly/Reynolds steel would transfer the power better to the frame? I was thinking a steel frame might be best suited versus aluminum or carbon fiber. Also I read people recommend using double torque arms on the frame/fork drop outs to keep the ebike hub secure. I definitely would use disc brakes only and maybe run bigger rotors for more braking surface. I could also use a wider tire if I go with a front hub to gain more traction. For example I was thinking of doing the conversion on a single speed (either my current bike or another purchase) and then using a smaller chainring and free wheel combination for easier pedaling.

The other issues I was thinking of was the placement of the battery. I've seen some setups where they place the battery on a rear mounted rack, though you can also place the battery on the center of the frame in the location of the bottle holders. I'm wondering if there's an optimal placement to provide the best weight ratio to keep the bike feeling secure?
Completely agree on the steel frame (mine's aluminium - very light, but ... well); I think support points of thedrive train as well as the main frame need to be very sturdy in order not to wear too quickly and hold things in place securely. My frame didn't suffer too badly, but parts of the transmission did - fixable, but I had actually bent parts around the jockey wheels ... no idea how. And it wasn't that healthy for the bottom bracket and the bearings there, either. Fortunately, I was still able to tighten things up when I removed all the electric parts, but we (my dealer and I) were both quite astonished about how much things had suffered. I hadn't used the most robust components - but I certainly wouldn't want to make that kind of mistake again.

The single speed idea is a good one if you can get away with it in the terrain you prefer (unthinkable in Switzerland except for true afficionados - I know only one person who rode such a bike up our usual hills, and even he moved on after a couple of years, having worn out a steel frame(!) in the process - without any motor, mind!). Single speed hubs are simple and sturdy to begin with - little to worry about, easy and cheap to replace.

If you value speed and response, I'd go for a rear motor - much more direct driving. Of all three motor types, I personally liked front motors the least - neither support nor response were to my taste, but of course, YMMV.

As to the battery, well - the kit solutions are *never* elegant, you need a dedicated, custom-built frame to achieve that. Best balance is in/on the seat tube (best place is behind it, but ... space); bigger batteries either need a rack or go on the top or down tube (like mine) - workable, but doesn't look that nice and doesn't balance quite so well. It was okay, though - my frame is small and quite low, so no unexpected troubles in that respect.

M.

As to the ebike conversion question, for my 2 cents it's "yes you could, but no you probably shouldn't." The kits aren't as nice to use as an integrated bike meant for it, in my experience, usually not as nicely made as the Bosch / Shimano / Bionx etc ones that come on purpose-made ebikes. And then the handling changes with all that weight in odd places, and (as has been mentioned) your frame may not be up to the task -- your brakes too. It's a lot harder on a bike handling all that torque, and stopping all that extra weight.

Ebikes rock, we have 2 (among the 11? 12? bikes in the garage), and use them for what they're good for. I'd say if it's a really strong urge, then save up and get a "real" one."

M.
Very well said!

Looks like a Rawland frame, Jack?

Yes, sharp eyes! 'Nordavinden' decal somehow installed upside down on top tube. Has custom mid trail fork because I don't care for low trail. It's my most-ridden bike, though less in winter because fenders won't fit with the fatter tires I prefer.

What are you riding?

What are you riding?
We have ....

- an Urban Arrow (e-assist "bakfiets" cargo bike from Amsterdam, rain cover, rear rack, hauls tons of stuff)

- a Pedego "Ridge Runner" (mid-priced e-assist thing that pretends to have MTB aspirations, but which one would never intentionally take on real trails. Strong rear hub motor, good battery life, we used it to haul the kid and 2 bags' worth of stuff via a trail-a-bike, which she's now really too big for. Great all-purpose e-bike though, and great support from the mfr.)

- Two Brompton folding bikes, for when we're flying or traveling in a small car. Generator lights, plenty of gears, fold up tiny. Need a third now, for the 11 yr old.

- a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (26" wheels, but hydro discs, new Deore drivetrain, full suspension, got it free because it needed a ton of work, was abandonned outside work for a year. Daughter discovered with the dropper bottomed out she could ride it, appropriated it as “her” mtb.)

- A 2017ish Stumpjumper 29er hardtail (got a screaming deal from a cyclocross teammate who upgrades her bikes too much and just wanted us to start mountain biking more as a family. Wife immediately appropriated it as “her” bike.)

- A 2006 Bianchi Cross Veloce (mixed AL / carbon frame, carbon fork, flat bar conversion, carbony bits everywhere, super light, wife kicks a lot of cx arse on it.)

- A recentish Gazelle aluminum dutchie bike, blazing orange, fenders, huge front ladder rack, 3 speeds, wife's prefered bike when there are no hills.

- A Jamis aluminum flatbar city bike the daughter uses as her town bike… fenders, front basket, rear rack.

- An Islabike Luath 700c, which is a kid-specific cross bike for kids my daughter’s age.

- A mid-70s Peugot UO-8 that I converted for the wife to be 700c wheels, singlespeed, generator front hub and good lights, Velo Orange sweep bars, handlebar bag, hammered fenders. Rear hub recently died so it has a new 3 speed rear wheel waiting on me to install it. This is by far her favorite bike. Single-gauge thick steel tubing ain’t super light, but it’s indestructable. She rode this as a singlespeed from Pittsburgh to DC, ~60 miles a day for 6 days, with two loaded front bags.

- and my normal bike, a beloved 2000 Gary Fisher Mt. Tam. Previous owner (former boss / friend) converted it to single front chainring, but it came stock with shimano XT dual pot hydro discs that are still killer. Marzocchi Bomber is still rockin’ up front. I wind up having to mountain bike it, because the girls stole the two nicer bikes. But it’s also my town bike, with a rear rack on it.

Then I have two others that I share with my friend Jenn…

- A full-carbon Kona cross bike, flat bar, incredibly light, that we both race off and on.

- A womens small Specialized road bike of some sort, got it free from another teammate, put a rear rack on it, sometimes I commute on it, sometimes she does.

Attached are some random, assorted shots of said bikes (including me hopping a little barrier during a race on the Kona, and the Bianchi before it got flat bars)... because BIKES!

Attachments

• KBRY7409.JPG
    KBRY7409.JPG
    621.5 KB · Views: 28
  • KBRY7509.JPG
    KBRY7509.JPG
    698.4 KB · Views: 31
  • KBRX7207.jpg
    KBRX7207.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 28
  • KBRY6367.jpg
    KBRY6367.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 29
  • KBRY6621.jpg
    KBRY6621.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 29
  • KBRY6193.jpg
    KBRY6193.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 25
  • KBRY9228.jpg
    KBRY9228.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 31
  • KBRY7791.JPG
    KBRY7791.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 30
  • KBRY0850.jpg
    KBRY0850.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 73370628_10216000267100021_8573251633352278016_n.jpg
    73370628_10216000267100021_8573251633352278016_n.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 32
  • KBRX0381.JPG
    KBRX0381.JPG
    616.8 KB · Views: 26
  • KBRX4798.jpg
    KBRX4798.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 26
  • KBRY4987sm.jpg
    KBRY4987sm.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 25
We have ....

- an Urban Arrow (e-assist "bakfiets" cargo bike from Amsterdam, rain cover, rear rack, hauls tons of stuff)

- a Pedego "Ridge Runner" (mid-priced e-assist thing that pretends to have MTB aspirations, but which one would never intentionally take on real trails. Strong rear hub motor, good battery life, we used it to haul the kid and 2 bags' worth of stuff via a trail-a-bike, which she's now really too big for. Great all-purpose e-bike though, and great support from the mfr.)

- Two Brompton folding bikes, for when we're flying or traveling in a small car. Generator lights, plenty of gears, fold up tiny. Need a third now, for the 11 yr old.

- a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (26" wheels, but hydro discs, new Deore drivetrain, full suspension, got it free because it needed a ton of work, was abandonned outside work for a year. Daughter discovered with the dropper bottomed out she could ride it, appropriated it as “her” mtb.)

- A 2017ish Stumpjumper 29er hardtail (got a screaming deal from a cyclocross teammate who upgrades her bikes too much and just wanted us to start mountain biking more as a family. Wife immediately appropriated it as “her” bike.)

- A 2006 Bianchi Cross Veloce (mixed AL / carbon frame, carbon fork, flat bar conversion, carbony bits everywhere, super light, wife kicks a lot of cx arse on it.)

- A recentish Gazelle aluminum dutchie bike, blazing orange, fenders, huge front ladder rack, 3 speeds, wife's prefered bike when there are no hills.

- A Jamis aluminum flatbar city bike the daughter uses as her town bike… fenders, front basket, rear rack.

- An Islabike Luath 700c, which is a kid-specific cross bike for kids my daughter’s age.

- A mid-70s Peugot UO-8 that I converted for the wife to be 700c wheels, singlespeed, generator front hub and good lights, Velo Orange sweep bars, handlebar bag, hammered fenders. Rear hub recently died so it has a new 3 speed rear wheel waiting on me to install it. This is by far her favorite bike. Single-gauge thick steel tubing ain’t super light, but it’s indestructable. She rode this as a singlespeed from Pittsburgh to DC, ~60 miles a day for 6 days, with two loaded front bags.

- and my normal bike, a beloved 2000 Gary Fisher Mt. Tam. Previous owner (former boss / friend) converted it to single front chainring, but it came stock with shimano XT dual pot hydro discs that are still killer. Marzocchi Bomber is still rockin’ up front. I wind up having to mountain bike it, because the girls stole the two nicer bikes. But it’s also my town bike, with a rear rack on it.

Then I have two others that I share with my friend Jenn…

- A full-carbon Kona cross bike, flat bar, incredibly light, that we both race off and on.

- A womens small Specialized road bike of some sort, got it free from another teammate, put a rear rack on it, sometimes I commute on it, sometimes she does.

Attached are some random, assorted shots of said bikes (including me hopping a little barrier during a race on the Kona, and the Bianchi before it got flat bars)... because BIKES!
Wow. Holy Smokes indeed! Kyle, you and your family are clearly committed to bicycling, such that (I'm guessing) your car probably sees little use. Great collection of bikes for a variety of uses; that e-Bakfiets is a formidable and amazing machine!

Also, very very nice photos of the bikes in use. Thanks for putting this post together.

It's funny, we spent money on the cargo / ebike stuff, because it does indeed replace the car for many trips. Car is an 88 4Runner with 260k or so on it.... so it needs all the rest it can get.

Other thing I can get us to spend any $ on these days is cross bike stuff to a limited degree, and mountain biking, because the wife kinda fell in love with it this year, once we found her the right kind of trails.

Back