Show "Bicycle"

Good news and not so good news. The big white toy delivery truck dropped off my steel 1999 Specialized Crossroads Sport frame a short while ago. It just needs a good cleaning, but it's in fine shape. Not so good is that it won't hold the fat 700x50 tires my other hybrid frame holds. Not even close. :oops: I knew the frame was spec'd at 700x38, but I planned to over-tire, so to speak. I could even squeeze 700x55 in my Trek hybrid frame. The bigger tires fit fine on the front, but not the back. Bummer.

I really don't want to go as narrow as 700x38, so I'm going to look into 650B/27.5 options. Biggest issue will be the brake location. There are adapters that will allow moving the brake bosses. Another possibility is running with a larger front tire. That's a thought. I'm going to mull over my options.

By the way, that's my NOS BMX brake levers laying next to the "U" on the box.

DSCF0639.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Good news and not so good news. The big white toy delivery truck dropped off my steel 1999 Specialized Crossroads Sport frame a short while ago. It just needs a good cleaning, but it's in fine shape. Not so good is that it won't hold the fat 700x50 tires my other hybrid frame holds. Not even close. :oops: I knew the frame was spec'd at 700x38, but I planned to over-tire, so to speak. I could even squeeze 700x55 in my Trek hybrid frame. The bigger tires fit fine on the front, but not the back. Bummer.

I really don't want to go as narrow as 700x38, so I'm going to look into 650B/27.5 options. Biggest issue will be the brake location. There are adapters that will allow moving the brake bosses. Another possibility is running with a larger front tire. That's a thought. I'm going to mull over my options.

View attachment 248462

Sucks about the rear tire clearance. I was just watching a YT video about 650b sized wheels and it might not be a bad option if you choose to go that direction!

Last edited:

View attachment 248462
If the pinch point is at the forward end of the chainstays, it’s likely they can be dimpled or spread to increase tire clearance. I’ve not done this myself but it’s fairly commonly done (on steel frames) especially these days when we’re all trying to squeeze in bigger tires. I bet there are more than a few how-to videos out there. Also most frame builders and a few bicycle shops could do this work. By the way, that’s a beautiful frame - really love the curved tubes!

Sucks about the rear tire clearance. I was just watching a YT video about 650b sized wheels and it might not be a bad option if choose to go that direction!
I've been doing a bit more reading, and this may not be an option. It appears my brake bosses are not removable. There used to be a v-brake block dropper that would lower the brake pads for smaller diameter rims, but they appear to have disappeared from the Web save for a single YouTube video.

If the pinch point is at the forward end of the chainstays, it’s likely they can be dimpled or spread to increase tire clearance. I’ve not done this myself but it’s fairly commonly done (on steel frames) especially these days when we’re all trying to squeeze in bigger tires. I bet there are more than a few how-to videos out there. Also most frame builders and a few bicycle shops could do this work. By the way, that’s a beautiful frame - really love the curved tubes!
I think I may just have to suck this one up. I'm not keen on modifying the frame, but thanks for the suggestion. I like the look of the curved tubes as well, which is what drew me to the frame. I am going to build this one single speed after all. That will give me 3 bikes, each one different than the other. I also discovered the Cane Creek 40 headset I have in my spares box fits this bike, as does the spare Shimano bottom bracket I have. That will save me a few $$$.

I've been doing a bit more reading, and this may not be an option. It appears my brake bosses are not removable. There used to be a v-brake block dropper that would lower the brake pads for smaller diameter rims, but they appear to have disappeared from the Web save for a single YouTube video.

I think I may just have to suck this one up. I'm not keen on modifying the frame, but thanks for the suggestion. I like the look of the curved tubes as well, which is what drew me to the frame. I am going to build this one single speed after all. That will give me 3 bikes, each one different than the other. I also discovered the Cane Creek 40 headset I have in my spares box fits this bike, as does the spare Shimano bottom bracket I have. That will save me a few $$$.
Have you decided on chainring size and freewheel? My uphill setup is 34:16t, and my everyday cruising gear is 40:16t. Though I have more flexibility due to my track ends for chain tension. If I was specifically going to tackle hills and want something easy, I'd probably go 32t on the front and maybe go 17/18t on the rear.

BTW - I'm running 700x37c and 700x38c on my knobby and slick gravel tires. I don't ride in rough terrain like you, but for mild dirt paths and fire roads, I have no complaints with those sizes. I'm excited to see what you create with this frame!

Here's another angle of my latest budget build. A couple things to note. I became accustomed to using the top interrupter brake levers on my other bike, so only having the front mounted levers sometimes throws me off, but on the plus side the disc braking is much more responsive with a straight though brake line. My other issue is the brake levers themselves, they seem undersized for my long fingers making it hard to grip in the drop position. The 46t chainring definitely makes me work harder, but I definitely notice it takes less revolutions to cover the same distance, the only problem is that I have to get in the upright position sooner with increased elevation!

bike_back_side.jpg

Have you decided on chainring size and freewheel? My uphill setup is 34:16t, and my everyday cruising gear is 40:16t. Though I have more flexibility due to my track ends for chain tension. If I was specifically going to tackle hills and want something easy, I'd probably go 32t on the front and maybe go 17/18t on the rear.

BTW - I'm running 700x37c and 700x38c on my knobby and slick gravel tires. I don't ride in rough terrain like you, but for mild dirt paths and fire roads, I have no complaints with those sizes. I'm excited to see what you create with this frame!
I'm thinking 36:18 to start. While this bike is going to be for rail trail or park riding, even those have some small hills around here. I scored a set of NOS Bontrager Camino wheels from the eBay overstock department of a bike store. Pretty good price, and they said they true all of their wheels prior to shipping. I have a set of old 700x45 tires hanging on my garage wall, and before I buy any tires, I'm going to mount those on the rims when they arrive and see how they fit on the Crossroads. I'm thinking something in a tanwall when it comes time to pick the tires.

I spent several hours today tinkering, cleaning the frame, installing the headset, BB, and brakes. It would have gone faster, but I had to keep walking back and forth to the garage to find things I needed. I need to organize better, but I just pretty much am not very good at that.

This also came today. It's a thick, heavy book. I'm looking forward to sitting down with a hot drink in just a bit and starting on the book.

I've seen the film Klunkers and watched a number of interviews with those guys. Back in the 70s, they were finding old Schwinns that had been tossed in the trash, or were buying them for $5 or $10, and modifying them for their runs off the mountain. Every now and then I read of someone claiming they scored a barn find of an old Schwinn balloon tire cruiser for a pittance, but more usually I see listings where someone is wanting hundred$$ for them, even if they are in terrible shape. The eBay factor, I suppose.

Fat Tire.jpg

(Looking at your dropouts) Did you say you were going singlespeed on this? Using a chain tensioner, then, I assume?
I bought this chain tensioner without the cog or spacers to use on my dual chainring setup. It has multiple adjustment settings to properly line-up the chain. Though I stopped using it because I didn't like that derailleur feel, versus just a straight chain and using the track ends to tighten the chain. I also replaced the plastic pulley for an alloy pulley for better durability. For vertical dropouts, this might be necessary. I think the other method would be to remove half links on the chain when tension starts to slack.

Last edited:
Yeah, Paul makes some top shelf stuff, but it's pricey! I haven't decided on a tensioner yet. I used to have one bouncing around my parts box, but I can't find it.
The one I linked isn't bad and lining up the chain was easy using an allen wrench. My only issue is that I was getting chain skipping when I tried using my smaller chainring. I was reading that having two pulleys works better like on a traditional derailleur, but I haven't put the tensioner back on since i picked up the 2nd bike.

I also have an old Exage derailleur I pulled off an old Giant frame. It looks like crap, and sort of defeats the purpose of going SS, but it's free. There's that, and the question as to whether the limit screws would allow me to get the proper chainline.

I also have an old Exage derailleur I pulled off an old Giant frame. It looks like crap, and sort of defeats the purpose of going SS, but it's free. There's that, and the question as to whether the limit screws would allow me to get the proper chainline.
That Forte chain tensioner basically looks like a branded version of the one I linked. Honestly I think unless you're racing, it's not bad. The metal spring is tensioned tight. I would just swap out the plastic pulley for an alloy one and dump the metal chain guide that comes with it. The guide kept clipping my chain.

Back