Show "Bicycle"

Today I did a total of 27 miles today at CicLAvia. It was fun rolling through parts of downtown Los Angeles that wouldn't normally be open to bikes in any friendly manner. There were PLENTY of cyclists out and it made me wonder if LA actually invested in decent cycling infrastructure, we'd actually have a really awesome bike city. There were lots of bike related booths, food stalls, water dispensers, free bike repair and first aid for all cyclists.

I met up with my weekly cycling group and like harden DTLA cyclists, we opted to go back into traffic as a group and ride fast on the regular streets with cars. It just felt more natural for us and it was interesting to see how everyone who rides regularly (in our group) are more alert than the average weekend rider! :eek: 😁

View attachment 273280

View attachment 273279

View attachment 273278

Open Streets events are awesome, and yes, if LA decided to make it safe, they'd be swimming in car-free travel.

51460393701_149cb75d1f_h.jpg

Electrifying by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

A group of e-bike mountain bike riders were also out enjoying the day riding up to the Col de la Pierre Plantée. It appeared to a local tour group ride. Great idea to explore more of the area.

Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D11- 08: Day 11 of 12 – Gare de Cassagnas to St Germain de Calberte: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (#GR70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

I did some hill climbing today in the mountains. I setup my gravel bike back to chunky off-road mode. My legs were sore from a heavy barbell squat session the day before and even in my low gear the pedaling felt heavier than usual on the chunky single track trail.

Also my cycling computer clocked me going 60 mph on the paved mountain downhill road, probably while I was in super aero tuck position! That would be some serious road rash if I fell! :eek:

view.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

downhill.jpg

244654713_5147749975253335_1856595326770373762_n.png

245223523_603843743982544_7784100978197909166_n.png

Last edited:
The only time any of my bikes has gone 60 mph is when they've been strapped to the back of my vehicle on the highway. :D
It might have been a glitch, but there's a residential area that's incredibly steep and paved right where the mountain fire road ends/begins. The descent is so fast, it's easier just to lean into the curves as opposed to turning the handle bars.

My computer also clocked my cadence at 242 rpms at one point, I'm guessing that was for sure a glitch! Though I was spinning at my lowest front/rear gearing! :roflmao:

245203629_285594349919008_2744661947684486303_n.png

Younger guys are the WORST. Avoid at all costs.

I spent the next day napping and lounging around! My body put me on a mandatory timeout!

Heck, my 11 year old daughter who's playing soccer this season is so fast now I can't even steal the ball from her! Getting older sucks! 😭😆
LOL at you guys. 'Older' is very much relative. Anything below 60 is younger these days.

Here's a pic from this morning's ride. Started out before dawn on a morning where gloves, a balaclava, and long pants were in order. Turned into a gem of a morning. Almost 3 hours of tooling in and out of the woods and along the back streets of a nearby small river town.

64.JPG

I've been lackadaisical this week . . . haven't done more than a short ride on the indoor trainer. Hope to rectify that soon, but the next couple of days are supposed to be chilly and rainy. Might have to suck it up and go anyway.

Well, my project of getting more into video is progressing. I use the race days to try to shoot both still and video, and it works, though I get fewer shots overall (of course) than Used to. But I get enough. And when I'm done, I get to compile videos for the team, which they seem to love. Some samples from this past weekend... The day is spent with the XT1 having the 18-55 kit zoom on it, and the XE3 with the 50-230, in Video mode with continuous focus selected. That way I can usually snap stills on the XT1 quickly, and the XE3 (with its MUCH better focus tracking for video) gets to run the XC50-230.

Here's one of the videos.

And some stills... it was muddy as hell.
KBRX6094P.jpg

KBRX6109P.jpg

KBRX6132P.jpg

KBRX6210P.jpg

KBRY6045P.jpg

KBRY6071P.jpg

Well, my project of getting more into video is progressing. I use the race days to try to shoot both still and video, and it works, though I get fewer shots overall (of course) than Used to. But I get enough. And when I'm done, I get to compile videos for the team, which they seem to love. Some samples from this past weekend... The day is spent with the XT1 having the 18-55 kit zoom on it, and the XE3 with the 50-230, in Video mode with continuous focus selected. That way I can usually snap stills on the XT1 quickly, and the XE3 (with its MUCH better focus tracking for video) gets to run the XC50-230.

Cool video! I was excited the other day to have some semi-moist dirt on the trail! That race was full on thick mud!

Back