Birds Show Birds

Sometimes, we just want to watch them move/fly.
IMGP9387.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was just a jump and it didn't even flap its wings.
IMGP9391.jpg

Common myna - I captured the other guy gliding down the light pole.View attachment 277614
View attachment 277615
I used the 50-200mm WR and, in order to take such shots, I had to pre-focus to infinity first instead of relying on the AF to lock-on on the subject. The focus action is closer from infinity to the subject than from 1.1m. With the 18-250mm, I used to just rely on the AF and the lens would wind forever before it locks on, making me miss some of the birds' movements. The AF lenses I have for Pentax are still screw-driven and the good thing about the 50-200mm is that I don't have to switch to MF to do the prefocus. The MF ring is loose unlike the one on the 18-250mm.
I didnt realise you have Mynas over there. They are such a pest here, and have driven out many of the native species, as well as the odd imported one (eg I have not seen a sparrow for years. )

In a local (southern Oregon) creek, a mallard duck minding his own business, and ignoring the coot who came in for a spectacular splashdown just behind him--

Stylus_Nov16_21_waterfowl.jpg

Shortly thereafter, things sort of calmed down, and everyone - the mallards and the coots - managed their own version of peaceful coexistence--

Stylus_Nov16_21_two_ducks.jpg

I didnt realise you have Mynas over there. They are such a pest here, and have driven out many of the native species, as well as the odd imported one (eg I have not seen a sparrow for years. )
Yes, Sue @kyteflyer . They now have a larger population here. Most of the birds that go around suburban Auckland are just introduced and naturalised ones like the Myna. The native ones are usually found in the reserves and/or provincial regions. It's a good thing that, at least, I have seen/captured a photo of a Tui lately. I should probably spend more time in the reserves to get the whole bunch but at the moment, I am getting a lot of blackbirds and mynas which are not friendly to the EVF lag.

Quite a few different sparrows have been hanging out in the garden area, behind my old farmhouse in southern Oregon.
Today, it was the turn of a white-crowned sparrow---

Stylus_Nov23_21_white-crowned_sparrow#1.jpg

Who eventually abandoned the safety of a perch inside a protected bush, to venture down on the ground, in search of succulent insect morsels.

Stylus_Nov23_21_white-crowned_sparrow#2.jpg

Only too late did I remember the importance of setting a minimum but relatively fast shutter speed to capture the avian action.

Last edited:
This morning I visited the neighboring Oregon town of Klamath Falls where a large group of Black-crowned Night Herons were roosting in a large tree alongside a lake. They are remarkable looking birds. The extreme telephoto end of the zoom on my small Olympus Stylus 1S compresses the birds and the tree branches together into a way that surprised me---

Stylus_Nov27_21_black-crowned_Night_Herons.jpg

The next shot, slightly cropped, captures one of them in flight - and made me realize that, when all is said and done, birds are really nothing more than small flying dinosaurs.

Stylus_Nov27_21_black-crowned_Night_Herons_flying.jpg

I brought the K200D + 28mm while doing street and didn't really intend to drop by the beach until I was given by a family member 30 mins extra. I thought about shooting rangitoto, again, but these seagulls were flying really low.
IMGP0187.jpg

IMGP0198.jpg

IMGP0199.jpg
IMGP0211.jpg

A couple more joined the fun.

IMGP0212.jpg

Back