Birds Show Birds

trumpeter vamoose.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Trumpeter on departure after being chased off by a mute swan.

This Mute Swan is coiled like a rattlesnake, ready to strike. I watched this bird assume this posture and paddle at full speed, chase two Trumpeter Swans off the lake this morning. It was on a mission and didn't back down until they were gone.

The Mutes, identified by their orange bills, are an invasive species but far outnumber their indigenous black billed cousins, the Trumpeters. If you see a swan sailing across the lake in this configuration keep watching because the chances are that there is about to be a confrontation of some kind.
I needed a double reaction of Cool & Informative

Hmmmm... good pickup! Mabye it was just a genetic thing? Looking back at all my pelican pictures, they've all got blue/grey legs and feet. A quick google talks about blue/grey or brown/grey feet for the Australian Pelican.

He's some earlier ones. This one from 2011
View attachment 308794

and more recently (which I may have posted earlier).
View attachment 308795
it must simply be a mutation. Not as bad as
is it related to that condition

Leucistic Birds​

This Mute Swan is coiled like a rattlesnake, ready to strike. I watched this bird assume this posture and paddle at full speed, chase two Trumpeter Swans off the lake this morning. It was on a mission and didn't back down until they were gone.

The Mutes, identified by their orange bills, are an invasive species but far outnumber their indigenous black billed cousins, the Trumpeters. If you see a swan sailing across the lake in this configuration keep watching because the chances are that there is about to be a confrontation of some kind.

The most wonderful thing about swans in general is that they cannot tolerate Canada geese. We used to call them 'goose be gone' when we had a place on Sandusky Bay. It was a blessed relief when they moved in and drove away the honkers.

Russ

Photographically, this is nothing special (it was dark and I was fighting the camera this morning). But I am posting for the birders.
I believe this to be a Fairy Pitta (Pitta Nympha). "Birds of the World" suggests that there are only a few thousand in the entire world.
Well, at least one is visiting us in Bangkok and causing a bit of a stir amongst the birders. There were plenty of folks with much nicer cameras than mine photographing this bird.

Russ

P1014213_DXO-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No, I like the G9 just fine. But other than the lady with the RX10IV, I had the smallest camera there. Lots of big glass and tripods. Some folks actually had carts to haul it all around. It was quite the extravaganza and a wee bit intimidating
The Panny struggled a bit in the light, but I doubt their photos are that much better. And while they were busy packing up all their kit, I strolled away to shoot some butterflies.
Light kit = good kit.
cheers,
Russ

Back