Birds Show Birds

two from today - taken from the rear deck of the Cross Channel Ferry - not too far from the French Coast near Ouistream

Big Birds - best BIF shots that I have achieved since getting keen of bird photography a couple of months ago

Barrie/Paul - can you give me the definitive ID - my books are not to hand

Gannet? - Northern Gannet (Morus bassanus)

bird_6th_1.jpg

bird_6th_2.jpg

Those Gannets are spectacular, aren't they? Their design elements are so beautiful. I'm also quite fond of Cormorants, as well. Good for you, Bill - it's at times like those that I'd wish I had an interchangeable lens camera...with a nice long lens.

Thanks BB - they are all taken with a D300 and Nikon 70 - 300mm VR, usually ISO800 and the fastest (reasonable) shutter speed that I can get - (but I also prefer to use f8 - as that's the sharpest for the lens) and most are big crops as birds don't like us humans, (and I don't blame them) - I know that it is cheating on a SC forum using a DSLR - but it's the only way that I can get "bird" shots

I needs a ££££ "windfall" - gift from my kids or something - so that I can afford a Nikon "birding lens" - they are megga bucks

and one to ID - they were quite a distance off - they were diving - about 2 miles from shore French side of English Channel

first shot is full image
second is a crop from it

diver_1.jpg

diver_2.jpg

Eagle, shot with A77 and Tamron 18-250

I have some friends that live near Shreveport and they have been telling me about an eagle nest. Every time I drive by it, it was empty until the other day. I only had my 18-250 lens but sure wish I had my Tamron 200-500 that day. The good thing about 24Mp is it gives a good bit of cropping room.

p826122443-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p368408720-5.jpg

I'm not an expert, but these are BHGs

and that second shot is really beautiful.

we really will have to ban you from using that slr before you show us all up ...

I have some friends that live near Shreveport and they have been telling me about an eagle nest. Every time I drive by it, it was empty until the other day. I only had my 18-250 lens but sure wish I had my Tamron 200-500 that day. The good thing about 24Mp is it gives a good bit of cropping room.

p826122443-5.jpg

p368408720-5.jpg

Texas - your'e a lucky man - I wish I could see some Eagles - lots of Buzzards in SW France

I saw maybe an Eagle, (could have been a Golden), last year in Northern Spain - it was soaring high and from it's claws was dangling an enormously long snake

I'm trying to plan a trip this year to The Pyrenees, (Northern Spain), where there are Golden Eagles, (just a few pairs and difficult to see) and Short Toed and Booted Eagles as well as large Vultures

Bill, your in-flight shots are to die for. I'll have to content myself with on the ground ones, I just cant hold the long lens steady enough to catch them flying.

Had a bit of a bird-fest this morning, the usual ducks, waterhens, geese, gulls. Was also looking for the plovers that nest around here most of the time but can't find them at the moment. Will post when I have got them off the camera and into some semblance of order.

Back