Birds Show Birds

DSC_9725.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Walking along the bike path which runs along a forested area and a creek this morning. Most of the birds I saw stayed extremely distant.
Including this acorn woodpecker...but when I blew up (cropped) the image, I saw what was in its mouth!

EM1_Sept15_22_acorn_woodpecker_with_nut.jpg

This particular blackbird had an interesting way of spreading his wings---

EM1_Sept15_22_blackbird_spreading_wings.jpg

At the end of the walk, I saw a small flock of cedar waxwings temporarily alight in a tree. But then, as though moving with one mind, they all took wing once more---

EM1_Sept15_22_flock_of_cedar_waxwings.jpg

Walking along the bike path which runs along a forested area and a creek this morning. Most of the birds I saw stayed extremely distant.
Including this acorn woodpecker...but when I blew up (cropped) the image, I saw what was in its mouth!

View attachment 336155

This particular blackbird had an interesting way of spreading his wings---

View attachment 336156

At the end of the walk, I saw a small flock of cedar waxwings temporarily alight in a tree. But then, as though moving with one mind, they all took wing once more---

View attachment 336157
The Acorn Woodpecker is pretty cool!!!

When I saw this bird flying in from Lake Michigan I first thought it was an Osprey. As it flew over my car I pulled over, grabbed a camera and hoped to get a shot. By the time I brought the camera up to focus the bird had landed on the opposite side of a pine tree. As I walked around the tree it noticed me and gave me a glance before taking off out of view. It's not an Osprey but it is one of the bigger, more powerful looking hawks I think I've ever seen.
hawk spins.JPG

hawk flies away.JPG

When I saw this bird flying in from Lake Michigan I first thought it was an Osprey. As it flew over my car I pulled over, grabbed a camera and hoped to get a shot. By the time I brought the camera up to focus the bird had landed on the opposite side of a pine tree. As I walked around the tree it noticed me and gave me a glance before taking off out of view. It's not an Osprey but it is one of the bigger, more powerful looking hawks I think I've ever seen. View attachment 336199

View attachment 336201
Looks like a female Red-Tailed Hawk. Nice capture!!!

South Africa's national bird is the Blue Crane (Grus Paradisea) - we don't frequently see them and were delighted to spot this one in a field at a great distance

View attachment 336149
Lovely shot Irene!
I see you are using the excellent Fuji 70-300mm. I don't know if you have one, but the 1.4 tele converter works very well with this lens!
My wife gets great results using that lens with the converter.

Rob, I think that you have really nailed it with that last one. Ripper, mate.
Thanks John! Getting used to the OM-1 and shooting at 3000th of a sec or higher. My first attempts were not in such good light and these and were very noisy. Very happy with the OM-1 it locks on focus so fast. I have only managed to capture the white Cockatoos and Crimson Rosellas so far. Hope to get others soon. Cheers, Rob

Lovely shot Irene!
I see you are using the excellent Fuji 70-300mm. I don't know if you have one, but the 1.4 tele converter works very well with this lens!
My wife gets great results using that lens with the converter.
I was lucky to nab a copy of this (rare and hard to get) lens and yes, I do also have the 1.4x TC but didn't expect to need it on this outing, so didn't have it with me

Eh Rob, this is only your third attempt at BIF?
[silently weeps and contemplates cameracide] :redface:]
Stu, yes third attempt. I'm very lucky though because I have the birds right outside of my house, front, side, back and across the road is bushland. My first 2 attempts were done on very overcast days and low light ( got a few keepers after denoising), but the third attempt was a nice sunny day and that really made a big difference.

Thanks John! Getting used to the OM-1 and shooting at 3000th of a sec or higher. My first attempts were not in such good light and these and were very noisy. Very happy with the OM-1 it locks on focus so fast. I have only managed to capture the white Cockatoos and Crimson Rosellas so far. Hope to get others soon. Cheers, Rob
Excellent and very nicely composed.
and were very noisy.
That made me smile. For the non Aussie contingency these are one of the noisiest birds about. Especially when flocked together. Deafening!

Back