Birds Show Birds

I found what seemed a really good deal on an AF-S 300 f/4 D and a TC-14EII and they showed up earlier this week. Got them for less than I could get a used Tamron or Sigma 100-400. Still shorter than 500+mm, but I do like it. It's at the top end of size/weight I want to deal with. The bare lens is silly sharp at f/5.6. I was going to post in the thread I opened up to close the loop.
Looks good, Eli. And the TC looks good too.

IME, teleconverters can be very dodgy. I have three, and only one is optically excellent. One of the other two is a cheap and nasty 2x. The other is a barely acceptable, highly expensive OEM Olympus FTs EC-14!

The really good one is a Teleplus focusing TC, 2x, for my film OM1. Cost around AUD 850 in the mid 1980s. Here's a sample on the back of my Olympus f/4 200, scanned from an Agfa Vista negative. Handheld, about 15-16 years ago.

Film_1901_N24A_IG-USM_Web.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IME, teleconverters can be very dodgy. I have three, and only one is optically excellent. One of the other two is a cheap and nasty 2x. The other is a barely acceptable, highly expensive OEM Olympus FTs EC-14!

The really good one is a Teleplus focusing TC, 2x, for my film OM1. Cost around AUD 850 in the mid 1980s. Here's a sample on the back of my Olympus f/4 200, scanned from an Agfa Vista negative. Handheld, about 15-16 years ago.
Lovely photo John!
Yeah, definitely have to be careful with TC's. I actually though the EC-14 I had on the 50-200 non SWD did pretty well. I never had the MC-14 to pair with the 40-150 f2.8, but the MC-20 gave me some good shots, but was a steep drop in focus speed and really needed to be stopped down. I figured this time I'd go for a 1.4x and hope for the best

Lovely photo John!
Yeah, definitely have to be careful with TC's. I actually though the EC-14 I had on the 50-200 non SWD did pretty well. I never had the MC-14 to pair with the 40-150 f2.8, but the MC-20 gave me some good shots, but was a steep drop in focus speed and really needed to be stopped down. I figured this time I'd go for a 1.4x and hope for the best
A friend also has an EC-14, and it is fine on his E-1 and E-30. Go figure ...

View attachment 350557
What's this John?
Is this a "The cat ate my bird " excuse for no bird photo 😋🤣

Lovely cat

Spent a few hours wandering around the Finley Wildlife refuge, near Corvallis, Oregon. A cold, gray, wintry day... but there were birds everywhere.
A tiny yellow-rumped warbler was busy catching and swallowing small insects--

EM5_Dec2_22_yellow-rumped_Warbler+insect#2.jpg

While a spotted Towhee glared at me with one ferocious red eye while scarfing down seeds--

EM5_Dec2_22_spotted_Towhee.jpg

On a nearby trail, a small bevy of California quail disappeared into the bushes when they heard approaching human footsteps, I barely caught one quick snap of this chap, the last in line, then they were all gone--

EM5_Dec2_22_Quail_on_the_path.jpg

At a larger pond, a GBH (Great Blue Heron) was calmly preening himself on a log outcropping while a small number of ducks kept him company; on the far side of the pond, a flock of tundra swans were raising a ruckus, calling and screeching and yodeling--

EM5_Dec2_22_GBH+Tundra_Swans+Ducks.jpg

Not too far away, was a family of ring-necked Ducks--

EM5_Dec2_22_ring-necked_ducks.jpg

Finally, on my way out, I came a cross a some great Egrets...
They were standing--

EM5_Dec2_22_standing_great_Egrets.jpg

Standing and flying--

EM5_Dec2_22_great_egrets#1(flying).jpg

And flying--

EM5_Dec2_22_flying_great_Egret.jpg

The Egrets made my day.

Last edited:
Back