Birds Show Birds

Great Blue Heron (I've already learned from my British friends not to use the acronym) at rest and in flight

View attachment 362681

View attachment 362682

Taken at the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge (which is 3 counties away from Sacramento lol).

I love these shots. Beautiful 'captures', all of them.
And pardon my curiosity, but why exactly do your British friends (apparently) dislike the acronym for Great Blue Herons? In the Pacific Northwest, where I live - and where the birds are often frequent residents or visitors - the aforementioned acronym is used commonly among birders and non-birders alike, and (confession follows) I have always found it on the whimsically charming side.

On a number of nature and birding walks, my more sharp-eyed friends always exclaim with delight when they see tiny wrentits, but until today's walk, I had never actually seen one. This particular chap was kind enough to hold still for a picture, as well ;)

EM5_Feb1_23_Wrentit#5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I love these shots. Beautiful 'captures', all of them.
Thanks so much!
And pardon my curiosity, but why exactly do your British friends (apparently) dislike the acronym for Great Blue Herons? In the Pacific Northwest, where I live - and where the birds are often frequent residents or visitors - the aforementioned acronym is used commonly among birders and non-birders alike, and (confession follows) I have always found it on the whimsically charming side.
Until you find out that under British jurisprudence, GBH means a charge for "great bodily harm" or what we might call "felony assault" 😿

Back