Birds Show Birds

On Friday went out for a walk with my furry little princess and I tried my luck for some birds shots but didn't have a lot of expectations, the weather was duller than BoJo's chances to be PM again :p

OVI08551-Edit-Edit.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was welcomed by the usual, flock of Sparrows living in the bushes by the train tracks and fields.

OVI08568-Edit-Edit.JPG

If I sit still long enough they will do a fly-by very close to me, so close in fact that I can't get them all in focus at f 6.7 or f 8. In large numbers, they fly like Starlings flocks in fluid-like blob motion. (It's better explained here:
)

Once we reached the 2nd field bast the small patch of forest on the hill I am greeted with my first sighting (in a long time) of not one but two Egrets:
OVI08622-Edit.JPG

They were quite far away in the field (for a 500mm lens) and they were happy to chomp on whatever bugs they would find.

OVI08634-Edit.JPG

It was lovely to see they "crossed" each other for a cute composition but it was no Swan Love Heart Necking :p

OVI08640-Edit.JPG

One of them got spooked and flew across the field to my right side about 500 meters farther than where I was.

OVI08673-Edit.JPG

I managed to get a bit closer to the other one for a few minutes before it got spooked as well. (PS: DAMN YOU SONY AND YOUR NO TC FOR YOUR BUDDIES TAMRON AND SIGMA POLICIES)

OVI08684-Edit.JPG

And it took off on me as well, I noticed that Sony a7 Mark IV struggled to keep the Lock-On AF on both birds while flying, keeping the focus on their back legs instead of the head, at f 6.7 the DoF wasn't enough and legs are sharp but the heads are softer.

OVI08732-Edit.JPG

I moved on to another (but smaller) field and it's one of my favourite spots because it's filled with a wide variety of birds (being just next to the edge of the town there are more food opportunities). And found quite a large groupy bunch of Magpies, picking on other birds if they try to land anywhere near them.

OVI08749-Edit.JPG

And out the corner of my eye, I noticed my little buddie (he's been featured here before): The Kestrel. At this point, I am 99% sure that this field is his main/usual feeding area so I can come back to see him more reliably than looking for other fields for large birds of prey.

OVI08750-Edit-Edit.JPG

He was looking for dinner (around 16:30), sitting on tall perches "listening to the grass" and swooping down every few minutes. I watched him for about an hour, making mental notes of his preferred landing spots to see where I can get a good angle on him hunting and landing/taking off.

OVI08751-Edit-Edit.JPG

He was approaching one of the (too) many electric poles in the area, I cloned out the power lines in the two pictures above to see if I can get a more majestic (and untangled) frame of it.

OVI08752-Edit-Edit.JPG

Else it would look something like this.

OVI08764-Edit.JPG

He didn't have much luck on catching his dinner while I was there, so I moved position to higher ground (on side of the field is on an elevated ground about 7 meters higher) with an overview of the field.

OVI08781-Edit.JPG

But he kept trying, bless his little heart. Fast Food for birds has a different meaning than Just Eat does for UK :p

OVI08803-Edit-Edit.JPG

Taking a break after landing on the power lines, it's easier to keep track of the bird from this position but I get more "lines" in my frames than I would have preferred.

OVI08807-Edit-Edit.JPG

But he switches to the trees now and I have a different kind of lines now (winter lines :p )

OVI08810-Edit.JPG

I definitely want to go back and try to get some diving action when I can. Mornings don't get the best of light because of the tree line and the houses block the sunrise, but sunsets do have a chance to peer in and flood the place with warm light, but only the top area, the grass will stay in the shade unfortunately.

OVI08857-Edit.JPG

One thing that I haven't mentioned is that I forgot the camera metering to Spot (can't remember why I had it on in the first place) and it was a great success in getting the best exposure for the birds thus far. And I think I will continue to shoot birds exclusively with Spot Metering though I need to remember to dial the EV Compensation down when shooting completely white birds (like the Egrets) to preserve more details on the feathers. On the darker backgrounds, I can get some pretty crazy ISO values as consequence.

OVI08890-Edit.JPG

This was the last take-off before I went home, my furry little princess was getting quite angry with me for sitting still for almost an hour.

OVI08837-Edit-Edit.JPG

The occasional Magpie-Fly-By ... they are so difficult to photograph because of the incredible contrast between the dark head and half the wings but bring wingtips and chest, difficult to get the exposure right.

Ok, I got ...... tidy whities :) Well I prefer blue, but there ya go ;)

Royal spoonbill and keeping those whites tidy is a darn nightmare. Almost prehistoric looking these things.

DSC03329-.jpg

DSC05240.jpg

DSC00967.jpg

P7037703-Edit-Edit.jpg

DSC02381.jpg

All the best folks.

Danny.

The sun popped out again today, finally...so I figured I'd be kind to my friends in the swamp...
ducks two snow backyard.JPG

A pair of mallards chillin.

redhead closest.JPG

A Redhead soaking in the lake and the sun's rays.

duck greater scaup.JPG

A Greater Scaup. I had no idea what this was until I looked it up today. There is also a duck called a Lesser Scaup, which looks alot like this guy, but after careful review I am confident this is the Greater of the two.

Finally, here is another Redhead who apparently dropped his keys...
uh oh dropped my keys.JPG

OVI09091-Edit.JPG

Not much luck with birds today but I did get my favourite little flying fluffballs, The Long-Tailed Tit.

OVI09109-Edit.JPG

They were not particularly happy about me making pictures and didn't want to sit still for more than a couple of seconds.

OVI07079-Edit.JPG

These ones are from a different day but in the same place.

OVI07138-Edit.JPG

Such lovable little buds.

OVI06984-Edit.JPG

Got lucky with a lovely pair of Woodpeckers.

OVI06965-Edit.JPG

Why hello there :)

OVI06969-Edit.JPG

They live in an accessible area and there's a good chance to find them, with a bit of persistence.

OVI07007-Edit.JPG

Pecking for food, it doesn't look like there's a lot of food there.

OVI07076-Edit.JPG

Giving me the over-the-shoulder look before taking off.

OVI07160-Edit.JPG

Back