Birds Show Birds

Kingfisher after a small snack. Using the Canon FD 500 F/4.5L

View attachment 373789

View attachment 373790

View attachment 373791

View attachment 373792

View attachment 373793

Old set of shots being resized and using newer software.

Danny.

Excellent shots Greg. Beautiful colors and details. Glad you found it mate. Nice photographers here and we do get a laugh as well 😀 All the best as always G.

Danny.
be some step ladders at some point as well 😎

OVI09199.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

By the time I lifted up the camera towards this Common Blackbird, it flew off and I all got was a blur.

OVI09192-Edit-Edit.JPG

Do they come in threes?

OVI09192-Edit.JPG

I don't like shooting birds around man-made objects and places, often getting unwanted clutter (like power lines, fences, etc). It was a bit of a nightmare trying to remove the power line (because the depth of field gives me not much room to find replacement texture to fit within an acceptable level of sharpness).

OVI09220-Edit.JPG

Starlings are some of the most colourful and beautiful birds in my area, not very easy to photograph because they are quite shy and unfriendly on less than 500mm in reach. The highest success rate is early mornings while they look for food, mostly in short or freshly cut grass, sometimes in trees but in the area where they are most often there's no higher point to get them at a closer to eye level.

OVI09218-Edit.JPG

Standing tall and proud (very heavy crop).

It wasn't necessarily the wrong lens, at the long end you still get 216mm and with a bit of cropping it's a decent reach. The f 32 aperture is not where you would like to be with any kind of lens, it's a too-small aperture that lets in very little light and it will soften your image (like vaseline on the screen) significantly.
Based on the exposure setting you could go (at least for that moment in time) with f 5.6 at 1/250 of a second shutter speed and ISO 500 (or f 8 at 1/250 of a second and ISO 800). The EXIF information in your JPEG is completely removed so I can't tell in what mode you were shooting but I do recommend shooting in P mode if you don't have a lot of experience with the camera or fully automatic mode if you prefer to point and shoot style.
If you do want to learn more about exposure and shoot in Manual / Aperture or Shutter priority try to keep an eye on what settings you set for the camera because it can affect the quality of the picture in a pretty big way.

It wasn't necessarily the wrong lens, at the long end you still get 216mm and with a bit of cropping it's a decent reach. The f 32 aperture is not where you would like to be with any kind of lens, it's a too-small aperture that lets in very little light and it will soften your image (like vaseline on the screen) significantly.
Based on the exposure setting you could go (at least for that moment in time) with f 5.6 at 1/250 of a second shutter speed and ISO 500 (or f 8 at 1/250 of a second and ISO 800). The EXIF information in your JPEG is completely removed so I can't tell in what mode you were shooting but I do recommend shooting in P mode if you don't have a lot of experience with the camera or fully automatic mode if you prefer to point and shoot style.
If you do want to learn more about exposure and shoot in Manual / Aperture or Shutter priority try to keep an eye on what settings you set for the camera because it can affect the quality of the picture in a pretty big way.
Hi, thanks for your help & advice. I was in Aperture priority, just spotted the bird after I came out of my gate, saw the bird and took the shot. I rotate through my cameras and lenses, so I’m not always ready to shoot out of the gate.. That is bad of me, must do better.. Chilling with a glass of Guinness. Take Care L

cedar waxwing spring 2023 (2)-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

cedar waxwing group.JPG

I was in a hurry this morning. but I happened upon a group of Cedar Waxwings auditioning for "The Birds 2, (We're the Nice Ones) "

Today is the first day I've seen them in town in numbers, so hopefully I'll get some better images over the next couple of days in better light with more time.

Took a ride by the Waxwing hangout this morning. Still didn't have alot of time, and it was cold. These guys seem to be as anxious for spring as I am. Missed focus on a few shots today that could have been framers. Oh well, dems da breaks. I'll try again later, or tomorrow...before the blizzard hits tomorrow night and saturday.

waxwing group.JPG

waxwing berries branch (2).JPG

waxwing berry (2).JPG

waxwing upside down-fini.jpg

Back