Birds Show Birds

Black cockatoo
_5280062.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Every day these guys get a little bigger. Once again the visit to the lake tonight yielded the same count for the three groups I've been following. I think this makes about 10 days now without the loss of a cygnet. That's much better odds than the more than one a day of a couple of weeks ago.
Cygnet talking.JPG

cygnet side eye.JPG

These are from tonight's walk. Sadly, another Cygnet was lost over the last day. This is the last one from the 3 that hatched in this family. The other two families of swans have maintained so far...3 in one and 6 in the other. Both of those families stay out in the middle of the lake most of the day, so I suppose that has helped. I really hope this one makes it. The pair that raised it had 10 eggs to start and sat on them through snowstorms. Two eggs broke and 3 hatched. They have alot of time invested in this little guy...or gal.
cygnet standing up portrait.JPG

Cygnet wings (2).JPG

cygnet stretch (2).JPG

cygnet 43 crop (2).JPG

cygnet 169 crop (2).JPG

I was really conflicted upon seeing this tonight 50 feet from where the swans bed down. I watched as this snapping turtles dug a hole and layed about 20 eggs. I have pictures of the other eggs being layed but they look exactly like this picture. Part of me wanted to remove the turtle and destroy the eggs, but I know that wouldn't really help save the swan and duck babies. There are hundreds of snapping turtles nearby. I can only watch and hope that this little swan is lucky enough to avoid the fate of so many of the others this season.
snapping turtle laying eggs.JPG

These are from tonight's walk. Sadly, another Cygnet was lost over the last day. This is the last one from the 3 that hatched in this family. The other two families of swans have maintained so far...3 in one and 6 in the other. Both of those families stay out in the middle of the lake most of the day, so I suppose that has helped. I really hope this one makes it. The pair that raised it had 10 eggs to start and sat on them through snowstorms. Two eggs broke and 3 hatched. They have alot of time invested in this little guy...or gal.
View attachment 393006

View attachment 393007

View attachment 393008

View attachment 393009

View attachment 393010

I was really conflicted upon seeing this tonight 50 feet from where the swans bed down. I watched as this snapping turtles dug a hole and layed about 20 eggs. I have pictures of the other eggs being layed but they look exactly like this picture. Part of me wanted to remove the turtle and destroy the eggs, but I know that wouldn't really help save the swan and duck babies. There are hundreds of snapping turtles nearby. I can only watch and hope that this little swan is lucky enough to avoid the fate of so many of the others this season.
View attachment 393011
Lovely photos, Will.
However, nature has its balancing systems, harsh as they might seem.

Back