Birds Show Birds

I doubt the two you mentioned as this bird has the spots on it's back and is not very large, feathers were fluffed. The body was perhaps 8-9 inches long and in other views the eyes showed as yellowish as in this heavily cropped view.View attachment 428924
I'm truly not trying to rain on your parade; as birders we're our own biggest enemies when it comes to trying to find the rare occurrences around us. Sadly, The markings you see on the back like that when turned are not particularly diagnostic, though; and can certainly throw you off. Here they are very prominent here on this immature Sharpie, as is a yellow eye. Looking at head shape, size, tail length and other markings presented here, this looks very much Sharp-shinned rather than a falcon, though. If you are really certain that you found a rare occurrence in your area, I would strongly urge you to contact your local Audubon and get these posted to a record on Ebird, as both of those organizations like to track as much data as they can.

PB108590.1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm truly not trying to rain on your parade; as birders we're our own biggest enemies when it comes to trying to find the rare occurrences around us. Sadly, The markings you see on the back like that when turned are not particularly diagnostic, though; and can certainly throw you off. Here they are very prominent here on this immature Sharpie, as is a yellow eye. Looking at head shape, size, tail length and other markings presented here, this looks very much Sharp-shinned rather than a falcon, though. If you are really certain that you found a rare occurrence in your area, I would strongly urge you to contact your local Audubon and get these posted to a record on Ebird, as both of those organizations like to track as much data as they can.
After reading the additional info. that you introduced, I can see that my image was most probably of an immature Sharpie. Thanks for the correction. My source of info was a book, "Birds of Minnesota", but I can see the Cornell pics are more diagnostic.

1000010894.jpg

A flock of Starlings enjoying the morning sunlight to stay warm as we are down to 10-15 C already. That Thrusher hiding bellow the Starlings is really trying to blend in :p

1000010876.jpg

A little bit of a closer view ... That Thrusher knows that I know what it is :p

1000010885.jpg

Common Sparrow giving me the common Cold-Shoulder :p

Back