Birds Show Birds

Redwing, Bill
(Now Barrie can come along and tidy up all my mistakes in description and terminology)

Nothing much to add gentlemen, you seem to have sorted that one out. In passing Bill, and this is meant to be constructive, but you do seem to have some problem over judging size, you need more practice. You're dealing with a Song Thrush sized bird. As pointed out these guys, and Fieldfares, are both much less tolerant of humans.

Barrie

Nothing much to add gentlemen, you seem to have sorted that one out. In passing Bill, and this is meant to be constructive, but you do seem to have some problem over judging size, you need more practice. You're dealing with a Song Thrush sized bird. As pointed out these guys, and Fieldfares, are both much less tolerant of humans.

Barrie

Thanks

Yes it was Song Thrush sized in winter mode, i.e. puffed up - I just thought Redwings were "small thrushes" ......... these were the first that I have seen and recognised

It's Christmas folks

He hid

Robin_1.jpg

Then he was tempted by the odd sunflower heart

Robin_2.jpg

Happy New Year to all

Barrie/Paul - ID (confirm) needed

Seen in back garden

Is this a Marsh Tit ...according to Page 345 of the 2nd Edition it is too far South for a Willow Tit, (which I thought it was a first because of the grey tail feathers and more of a grey colouring)

Quite elusive and moves around a lot faster than the Blue and the Great

they were taken within 3 mins of each other - looking at the images I am not now sure if they are the same bird, but I think that they must be although I only ever saw one at once. It was "around" about up to a dozen chaffinches, a nuthatch, 3 or 4 Great Tits and a couple of Blue Tits.
I did not hear the call as I took the images through our living room window

SC_Marsh_1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SC_Marsh_2.jpg

They do seem to be difficut to distinguish between

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/categories/articleitem.asp?cate=23&topic=119&item=486

Bill, you've picked two of the most difficult species to differentiate in the field. Call is about the most reliable method. I had an instance of seeing a bird in the hand caught by ringers who identified it, with difficulty, as a Willow Tit. I remained unconvinced and, when released, the little devil flew off without calling. I'd say the second one is a Marsh Tit given the apparent lack of feather edging in the wing. The first one has some, but it's not exactly prominent. Both that and the more bull necked appearance attributed to the Willow Tit depends so much on stance, quality of the light, etc. So, say 95% in favour of Marsh Tit.

Barrie

Yes, I was suggesting that I had not heard that character of the species described before or being used as a means of differentiating between the two species, but that sort of knowledge is being gained all the time. I no longer take periodicals such as "British Birds" where these sort of things get discussed, so I'm not up to date on such advances.

Barrie

Yes, I was suggesting that I had not heard that character of the species described before or being used as a means of differentiating between the two species, but that sort of knowledge is being gained all the time. I no longer take periodicals such as "British Birds" where these sort of things get discussed, so I'm not up to date on such advances.

Barrie

Barrie/Paul

another quote from a BF confirm

"Very nice Marsh tit. Glossy top of head, mandible spot, no light wing panel"

a few of their friends

SC_Chaff_2.jpg

SC_Chaff_3.jpg

SC_Chaff_1.jpg

SC_Dun_1.jpg

Morning Barrie/Paul

another ID needed, please

seemed too big for a Dunnock, (but as Barrie has said, sometimes I have problems with size!) ....... but quite a few Dunnocks around as evidenced by the second image

Crop taken from a distance _ ID needed - is it a Dunnock? ....... as I said seems too big in my eyes!
SC_ID_1.jpg

My resident Dunnock, (well one of them)
SC_Dunnock.jpg

Had a visit from a nice Song Thrush who just wanted to get nearer and nearer

SC_SThrush_1.jpg

SC_SThrush_2.jpg

SC_SThrush_3.jpg

If someone wanted an exemplar of "arrow shaped spots" for ID purposes, these would be perfect!

Thanks Paul - what surprised me was that the Song Thrush in the UK has a RED status - (I suppose it's those bloody cats again!!)

out here I'm not sure how many there are as;

"Hunting migratory song thrushes has long been a
popular sport in southern Europe. It remains legal in
France and Spain"

Is my ID "needed" a Dunnock - first image

The Marsh Tit has also been keeping my busy today as it's the first that I have knowingly seen

Morning Barrie/Paul

another ID needed, please

seemed too big for a Dunnock, (but as Barrie has said, sometimes I have problems with size!) ....... but quite a few Dunnocks around as evidenced by the second image

Crop taken from a distance _ ID needed - is it a Dunnock? ....... as I said seems too big in my eyes!
SC_ID_1.jpg

It's rather dull and hiding any decent ID features, however given it's stance and structure I'm going with a thrush of some kind. I would agree that it's too big for a Dunnock. There's a hint of an eyebrow, but I can only see it in front of the eye. I'm not certain if a twig is hiding the rest of that feature. I would really expect it to be a paler base colour below, but I'm tempted to suggest a Redwing (I'm looking at it on a laptop, so not the best of monitors).

Barrie

Thanks barrie

There were redwings around in the last two weeks

Will this help any further - a "blow up" of the image

(I could be getting confused sizewise when I compare naked eye - then bins - then I take a shot with a telephone, (450mm in this case), get it back to my computer and look at it - then I change my mind on what I thought it was ...... most confusing!

SC_ID_2.jpg

and the original image at 420mm, (300mm plus TC x1.4), from about 30 mtres, (but there again I am not great in judging distances to the metre)

SC_ID_3.jpg

I'll nip out and try to find it - although it's a little dark and it does not look as if the light will get any better ......... it will be there tomorrow ...... so I may get a second look

Hmmm, not a Redwing, but I'm convinced it's a thrush species which leaves us with rarities from eastern Europe, outside of my experience, but a 1st winter Black-throated Thrush would be the nearest. Described in the guide I'm looking at (not Collins, can't find it) as being neutral grey above with paler grey fringes to the wings, and dirty white almost unspotted belly. An interesting bird that would get the pulse racing I think.

Barrie

recent sighting

Black Throated Thrush Twitch Oct. 6, 2012

Back