Birds Show Birds

yes, that (the lack of continuous trail) was the thing that gave me pause.
A woodpecker uses it's tail feathers similarly I think ... hmm.

It's probably something I'll never know the answer to.

Barrie/Paul

I was lucky to see the following - up in the hills back from the coast, images taken from the back of a 4 x 4.
They name them Black Shouldered Kites out in SA, (rather than black winged) .... but Collins also say that there is a small colony in Spain.
Saw lots of stuff and had a great time

BSK_1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BSK_2.jpg

BSK_3.jpg

The bird saw us, flew off circled and came back to the same tree ....... a few minutes later i think we saw a Black Harrier .... shot along at fence post height and then dropped down into undergrowth ..... but I am still trying to get this checked.

Images not great apart from a lucky one which shows the bird, (I think the third image is of the same bird as it was taken 1 minute later in the same position, although it does look different, tail colouring!!!), in an unusually position ..... but I did not see any black bars on the tail, so maybe it is not a Black Harrier

BH_1.jpg

BH_2.jpg

BH_3.jpg

EDIT: Apparently the third image is the Black Shouldered Kite, the one above, that I saw 3 minutes earlier

A couple of "water" birds seen on a freshwater lake inland from the coast.
The marvellous thing about water birds is that they tend to "stand or remain" still longer than the "flying" varieties

(now back from the S Africa trip and back in "the cold" - miserable - what a marvellous country S Africa is, we have already booked a few weeks for January 2014)

A fresh water cormorant, (Reed Cormorant), and a Red-knobbed Cote

com_4.jpg

com_1.jpg

com_2.jpg

com_3.jpg

I grabbed a couple of pictures of these guys. I'm not sure what they are just yet, but for the last week or so they just swarm all the trees around my work right at sunset. They makes lots of racket. Its actually pretty loud.

Edit: They are red winged blackbirds.

As they land:
P1311246.JPG

Crop:

P1311247.JPG

I got a cheap flash, was taking it out into the night and saw this owl who looked like it was trying to send me through the gates of hell with its glowing red eyes. I've known for a while there were owls in my neighbourhood, I can occasionally see them and hear them flutter past in the dark. But this is the first time I've ever been able to have a proper look at one of them.

8466728893_ceed0d40c1_c.jpg

8466727587_2208f7ce83_c.jpg

James

really good shots, (looked at your Flickr), which body are you using the Nokton with? ... your M8

maybe the owl will be out there tonight - I'd have a look

do you know which owl it is?

Thanks Bill, I'm using the Nokton with the Leica M8.2.

I've already been out tonight, no sign of the owl. I would usually only see it once every month or two although I know they're there even if I don't see them. I hear the flutter of their wings more frequently than that.

I have no idea what kind of owl it is. In the past 10 years of walking my cats and dogs at night, I've only ever seen a dark shape of it or heard it fly past so I'm quite excited to finally be able to see that it looks like.

I posted these on Mu-43.com - Micro Four Thirds User Group - Micro 4/3 Photography News, Discussion, and Rumors and figured I'd share here too. Taken with the E-PL2 and 40-150m. A touch soft due to higher ISO and constant moving of these darn birds around the feeder.

We have a bird feeder sitting in an evergreen tree of somesorts. It was busy this weekend.

P3101463.JPG

P3101440.JPG

P3101443.JPG

P31014201.JPG

Some close ups.

P3101420_2.JPG

P3101408.JPG

P3101405.JPG

I guess I've never seen one close up. Lovely colours in the feathers. I'd have noticed that. Surely! :rolleyes:

well, this one has come into it's breeding plumage. Over Autumn and Winter they can look a bit nondescriptly brown and spotty, but once the Spring comes this fabulous iridescence emerges.

Back