Birds Show Birds

Great thread you guys!

Regarding those stoned wallabies...do you think they've been across the pond? Apparently the USA is full of crop circles, at least that's what they tell me.

Great thread you guys!

Regarding those stoned wallabies...do you think they've been across the pond? Apparently the USA is full of crop circles, at least that's what they tell me.

The little joey's come in via Mexico - the US Border Control just lets them through as they think they are OZ tourists and cannot understand a word they say.

Another two very good shots, (again)

He's not overfed, he is just "puffed up" for the cold

The Shoveler looks a little dishevelled, probably had a row with 'the Mrs"

Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata) are all over the place in the Northern Hemisphere, (I suppose that why they get the name "Northern"), but they are found in India, other parts of SE Asia, (probably on the menu in China and Vietnam), the West Indies and down through Arabia to East Africa south of the Equator.
Obviously the bill shape sets them out and the male is beautifully coloured but the female is nothing to look at, (sorry ladies).

There is an Australian Shoveler (Anas rhynchotis) which is only found in OZ and NZ, (different sub species in New Zealand), and a Cape Shoveler (Anas smithii) found in S Africa.

We obviously spread them around as we formed our Colonies, (it's a joke folks!)

and a Red Shoveler (Anas platalea), Brazil and south

and apparently in 2011 a Northern Shoveler was sighted in Peru - first ever (recorded) sighting of a Northern in Peru - A female at Ventanillo, Lima, on 15 January 2011 - so that must have been very exciting for a couple of "twitchers" - I just cannot imagine how they felt!!! - clearly blown of course or what!

(How do I stop this predictive text - it keeps putting words in for me and I always have to go back and edit the posting?)

"He's not overfed, he is just "puffed up" for the cold"

That's good to know. I wondered how he could fly being as corpulent as he looks. He was still very amusing. The white crowned sparrows appear to be especially abundant this year.

I'll pass on any kind of "Gulls" - one of the groups of birds that I do not have the ability to recognise.

Barrie or "Polly" are your men as they can be complicated, Gulls that is!

my guess would be mature Common Black-headed Gull (Larus ridibundus), in non breeding, (winter), plumage, N Hemisphere bird, but the feet appear to be yellow, not red …….but I have no idea how old it is or even if I'm correct

where was it taken Romi?

Hang on bill, there's Common gulls and there's Black-headed gulls, and they are different species. The latter are indeed common in some places, but they can't simultaneously be Common

Also your faith in my abilities to identify gulls is flattering but misplaced!
Romi's photo seems to have been taken in Ohio, btw, so it'll be one of the na gulls and won't be found in our palae books. I don't think The combination of bill marking and leg colour is to be found in a European gull (?)

I'm only on my phone with a tiny screen at the moment so I'll leave it to you to look up likely candidates!

Also your faith in my abilities to identify gulls is flattering but misplaced!
Romi's photo seems to have been taken in Ohio, btw, so it'll be one of the na gulls and won't be found in our palae books. The combination of bill marking and leg colour isn't to be found in a European gull.

I'm only on my phone with a tiny screen at the moment so I'll leave it to you to look up likely candidates!

Ohio, maybe a Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis), then

Non-breeding adult has heavily streaked head and yellow green legs plus yellow ringed bill

Juvenile has pinkish legs, and black-tipped pinkish bill; attains adult plumage in 3rd winter.

If so their range is from Canada and Alaska to the Panama Canal

Eurasian Crane (Grus grus)

Spring migration to the breeding areas in the North of Europe has started and we saw one of the first groups today flying high over our house. Big birds over a meter high with a 2 meter wing span.
We are lucky where we live in SW France in that we are on their migration route.
They fly fast and very high in a V formation. Noisy birds that you can here coming a few minutes before they are overhead.
I have only ever seen this European species high in the air and never on the ground. France is very important in there migration and I made a special visit to the Lac du Der a couple of years ago, they were supposed to be there but they never turned up. C’est la vie, as they say
Used my 300mm into a very wintery sky, so images almost B & W

A full image
Crane_4.jpg

100% crops
Crane_1.jpg

Crane_2.jpg

Crane_3.jpg

I post images of these every year as for me it's a sign that the end of winter may be near

And Bill, I can only imagine the reality of seeing all those cranes pass over head! There was a pretty amazing birds in migration series on TV this past fall that followed some cranes...and it was breathtaking.

ty ty

it was taken at 'edgewater park' by lake erie in cleveland, OH. there were hundreds of them flocked together on the grassy field. i had to step towards them to crunch on the snow to get some to fly. took lots of effort and misses. i cropped the trees out to make those birds appear higher up and just less busy.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

A couple of shots of American Coots.They move ceaselessly, and I've been trying to get some usable shots for a couple of weeks. This afternoon, finally, I got some keepers.

_2096549-X2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_2096563-X2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I would love to have gotten the entire reflection of the head in, but with 600mm on an E-M5, this old coot had a hard enough time chasing the coot.

Back