Birds Show Birds

Thanks, Bill. My first name is Peter.
I'll try to find the names. The last one is the great kikadee (don't know the Latin name). Shot in Costa Rica. The other one is a sparrow, shot in the Botanical Gardens in Phoenix, AZ.

Thanks, Bill. My first name is Peter.
I'll try to find the names. The last one is the great kikadee (don't know the Latin name). Shot in Costa Rica. The other one is a sparrow, shot in the Botanical Gardens in Phoenix, AZ.

Hi Peter, that sparrow looks like it's not a sparrow ........... more like a Starling

Paco was the nickname of the corruption fighting NYC detective Frank Serpico, played by Al Pacino in the movie "Serpico". I bet your Paco sees a lot, too.;)

Wonderful portrait, Ken.

Attachments

• MV5BMTkyNzQ2MjkzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODM2MzcxMTE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg
    MV5BMTkyNzQ2MjkzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODM2MzcxMTE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 121
Thanks a lot BB, I'll meet him and his partner next week, they're both incredible (& incredibly LOUD :D ) and live in a beautiful 500-year-old house where they can roam around free.
PS: Great movie!

Thanks a lot BB, I'll meet him and his partner next week, they're both incredible (& incredibly LOUD :D ) and live in a beautiful 500-year-old house where they can roam around free.
PS: Great movie!

My wife would love to meet Al Pacino ……. well a few years ago she would have ….. dose he live near by?

Great image by the way

One for Barrie - Reed warbler?

OK I know this is a camera forum and this is a sound recording (but it was recorded on a phone that has a camera, does that count?) , but I am a bit confused by this.

It sounds like a Reed warbler to me, but it was in the middle of the common in a thicket and the nearest (tiny) reedbed is in a field pond half a mile away ... I didn't get a look, however much I crunched closer through the undergrowth (although it didn't seem to care) and of course I didn;t have bins.

You may have to turn the volume up a bit

Paul, I'm afraid it sounded about 1 mile away on my very basic system I use to access the internet. However an educated guess would be Sedge Warbler, both from the nature of the habitat observed in and your thoughts of it being a Reed Warbler. A Sedge will have aspects of its song remarkably similar to a Reed (the scratchy monotony), however there are sweeter notes interspersed in a Sedge's song that sound as though they come from a different species. Indeed the Sedge can be a good mimic of other species it has heard, thus twittering Swallows from their roosting in a reed bed and other song birds, such as Chaffinch, of which I've heard a passable representation.

Barrie

Though I occasionally spin old bird song LPs to confound our cats, I am no expert, but a quick check on youtube made me also think it sounds a bit like a Sedge Warbler, but they are different enough that I could just as easily be totally wrong.

thanks Barrie.
He was singing almost without cease for all the time I was nearby, which was the best part of an hour. With a bit of luck he'll like that spot and won't go too far, so I'll go back tomorrow with ultravids in hand I think.
Never actually clapped eyes on a Sedge, though no doubt heard a few times before.

Paul, they often sing in display flight, launching themselves up a few yards into the air and then parachuting or circling down again in song, usually to a different perch. Once paired it will stop singing entirely, so you'd better hope it doesn't attract a mate tonight (though it will be disappointed), or be 400 miles further north tomorrow

Barrie

Luke: this is a marvellous archive of bird sounds: xeno-canto :: Sharing bird sounds from around the world

Thanks for the linkie Paul. I'll check it out when the store empties.....the customers think I'm crazy enough already. I can't risk driving out "music" lovers by playing bird songs all day at the shop. I was playing a bird song LP last week and this middle aged woman walked in and asked "what is this you're listening to"? I showed her the album cover and explained that it was field recordings of North American songbirds. From the expression on her face, you'd think I was speaking in a foreign language.

The weather is finally warmed up a bit that we've been sleeping with the windows open at our new house (which is in a fairly wooded area). The sheer number and variety of different songs that wake us up each morning is staggering (much to my delight and my wife's chagrin). I'm hoping to get some decent shots once it stops raining.

Back