Birds Show Birds

Today's visit to Sandy Ridge. First time with new Fuji (X-E2 and X100S) cameras. Was happy with the performance of both bodies but the 55-200 surpassed my expectations with bird photos.

Red-winged Blackbird [X-E2 / 55-200]:
14021256471_771e370ea3_c.jpg

Mike, very good shots - clear focus on the eye/head contrasting with the movement in the wings and tail

pleasing background, showing this beautiful little bird

I prefer the position of the bird to the right in the second, as it's "flying into" space

presumably female then male

any idea which species it is?

what shutter speed did you use Mike?

Thanks Bill... they are Rubythroated Hummingbirds near Traverse city MI. I was visiting some friends that have a 15 acre property. First is the female and second is the male. Female 1/80sec, male 1/200sec, both taken at f4, iso200, 200mm, aperture priority. I set the camera on a tripod, guessed at (manual) focus distance and waited for them to show up. Spent 2-3 hrs adjusting focus and trying to get some decent pics of them. They are beautiful birds, fascinating to watch and unbelievably fast.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/f7Xoxq]
9267700718_9f181a3cf6_c.jpg
hummer3 by 2Deye, on Flickr[/URL]

Thanks Mike - as you say they are fascinating and it does take time to "scout" birds out and get near enough to get a good shot - (and see them in their beauty, of course)

so that 2 x 200mm = 400mm at f4

are they "big" crops?

Not cropped. Image size is approx 15x12" @300dpi. I was hiding approximately 10ft from the birds. The background is woods approximately 15-20ft behind the birds. If i remember correctly, I think I shot 90-120 pics to get 20 keepers. Guessing manual focus is tuff. Guess, shoot, review, adjust, review, adjust, over and over. My stubborn determination over time usually gets decent results. I'll most likely be back for another attempt for better results later this year (did I mention stubborn determination?) Here's a close crop 7.5x5.5" (1024x790) @300dpi

[url=https://flic.kr/p/npTQgp]
14053884613_173bd31564_b.jpg
hummer crop by 2Deye, on Flickr[/URL]

A few for Barrie
A first for me
Came into the "garden" this morning and is still there
Great "hunting" performances …… seems to like "bees" and similar
Not great shots - everything against me …… but more thrilling is watching the bird
The bird keeps being "harassed" by a Blue Tit who is not happy with it's presence

Woodchat Shrike (Lanius senator) ………. sub species senator - I think ….. well that's what gets here according to the book

WS_5 copy.jpg

WS_3 copy.jpg

WS_8.jpg

Thank you, Bill. Much appreciated. Here's another. This one was shot in the wild in Costa Rica, so I had to approach slowly. I also did not have much room to manoever. No crop (420mm FFeq). Used with flash.

p62040826-5.jpg

keep going - pniev - sorry that I don't know you Christian, sorry First, name

They are good

If you know what the bird is please indicate - saves me looking it up

Back