Birds Show Birds

First is a smaller Black Headed Gull chasing off a much larger Black Backed Gull, (Greater or Lessor??)

It's certainly not a Lesser Black-backed Gull which, at the age I think that bird to be, would be showing a much darker saddle. So that leaves Herring Gull or Great Black-backed Gull. As a second year bird they can be difficult to separate, although I'm veering towards Herring Gull.

Barrie

Common, but always good value to watch

I usually prefer small birds looking from left to right

Great_Tit.jpg

Slightly more prepared this morning, with an Olympus 50-200mm f2.8/3.5

The conveniently located Wheatears (enabling a car to be used as a hide) were feeding young on a wet morning on the moor. Here the rather damp male brings food to a youngster who's advanced down the nest burrow in anticipation of the meal on offer. The nest chamber will be at least 12" back from the entrance. I would expect these to fledge in three or four days.

14303612942_d4e3c43998_o.jpg

140530-1010163_DxO
by barrie.whitehall, on Flickr

Even given that I was in the car, and the car had been parked there for some time, the birds still knew when I was in the car, or absent, and that influenced their behaviour with fewer feeding visits when I was in the car. Having realised that I moved the car once I'd taken my photographs, so to anyone who is photographing birds please be aware if you are affecting them and adjust your behaviour so that they can carry on their business unaffected, respect for the wildlife comes first.

Another excellent morning surveying, with time to spare for a little photography, and I seemed to lead a charmed life with most of the rain passing either side of me, for which I was very grateful when out on the open moor and far from any form of shelter.

Barrie

barrie

apparently you should take another person with you as birds can't count - one walks away, you keep your head down and the bird thinks nobody is there ……… but you know that anyway and you'll have to take the shot with a camo net over your head

barrie

apparently you should take another person with you as birds can't count - one walks away, you keep your head down and the bird thinks nobody is there ……… but you know that anyway and you'll have to take the shot with a camo net over your head

Bill, if I'd had a passenger in the car they could have walked away and the birds could well have been more relaxed, however my passenger would have been stood out somewhere on the moor in the rain, I somehow don't think they would have co-operated with my wishes.

Barrie

Bill, if I'd had a passenger in the car they could have walked away and the birds could well have been more relaxed, however my passenger would have been stood out somewhere on the moor in the rain, I somehow don't think they would have co-operated with my wishes.

Barrie

I always take my wife - she doesn't mind standing out in the rain to keep me happy!!!!! - I think not!!!!!!!!

Back