Birds Show Birds

Lawrence - a Plover - I would say Three Banded, but I do not know the US birds - so maybe there is a Two_Banded Plover .........but still looks like a Three-Banded to me

I see it is a Killdeer .. never heard the name before .....funny name for a Plover

here's the Three_Banded Plover ..... only front on image I have

Three_banded.jpg

Last edited:
As you are in the US Andrew, interested too see the second in colour, The Tit, and know what you call them in the US .... in Europe it looks similar to a Marsh or Willow Tit, (Poecile montanus), but the front "bib" is too big for either ..... something like a Sombre Tit, which are more east ........ but it depends on the colouring, (as well)

do you call them Chickadees over in The Colonies?

Black-capped Chickadee, (Poecile atricapillus), maybe?

I tried googling US Tits, images ...... but I did not get the results I wanted!!!

Last edited:
Lawrence - a Plover - I would say Three Banded, but I do not know the US birds - so maybe there is a Two_Banded Plover .........but still looks like a Three-Banded to me

Yes, Bill, the Killdeer is a Plover, maybe just a common name: Killdeer Identification, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
I did learn that its running ahead on the ground and feigning a broken wing is typical behavior meant to distract predators from the nest. It drives my dog crazy, and convinced me I was seeing an injured bird the first time I witnessed it. Killdeer, the bird that lives dangerously - Wild About Utah

But you're the bird guy; if I've misread the sources I have consulted, I'd like to know. It's a pretty little thing in any event.

Last edited:
Yes, Bill, the Killdeer is a Plover, maybe just a common name: Killdeer Identification, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
I did learn that its running ahead on the ground and feigning a broken wing is typical behavior meant to distract predators from the nest. It drives my dog crazy, and convinced me I was seeing an injured bird the first time I saw it. Killdeer, the bird that lives dangerously - Wild About Utah

But you're the bird guy; if I've misread the sources I have consulted, I'd like to know. It's a pretty little thing in any event.

nice to speak Lawrence and as far as I know you are spot on with your info...... the broken wing behaviour is not uncommen, I think other birds do it and other Plovers ..... they are pretty bird but their eyes are unusual and distinctive ...... surprising how much alike the Three band and Killdeer are ...... apparently it gets it's name from it's call

As you are in the US Andrew, interested too see the second in colour, The Tit, and know what you call them in the US .... in Europe it looks similar to a Marsh or Willow Tit, (Poecile montanus), but the front "bib" is too big for either ..... something like a Sombre Tit, which are more east ........ but it depends on the colouring, (as well)

do you call them Chickadees over in The Colonies?

Black-capped Chickadee, (Poecile atricapillus), maybe?

I tried googling US Tits, images ...... but I did not get the results I wanted!!!

Here is the color version. I've heard them referred to as Chickadee here. I believe this one is a black capped chickadee.
16708097757.jpg

Levaillant's Cisticola

lots of Cisticola's (different groups) ...... they are basically Warblers, (Old World as they are known)
The Levaillant's is found in marshy, lake side long grasses and is in the Steaked backed, Long tailed group
Quite delicate and attractive little birds

the bird below is a young immature bird .... there were two ....... but I think that this is the same bird in both images ..... they tend to go around in pairs or small groups

D7100 - Nikon 300mm AFS f4 @f4 ISO200 ...... crops

Liv_C_1.jpg

Liv_C_2.jpg

Last edited:
Heckuva series!

We went to see a raptor show. It was both awesome and impressive to see those big birds up close and it gave me a chance to play with my A6000 and it's 11 fps. Only around 30 keepers of 900, guess I need more practice.
All shot with the 50mm f1.8 oss.

Apologies if the images are too large, I'm having a devil of a time trying to link images from Flickr on this tablet :)

Star of the show.
16547323610_3a513f0444_h.jpg

Liftoff!
16546916688_2807afb604_h.jpg

Incoming!
16734465345_65cb720b3d_h.jpg

The eagle has (almost) landed.
16547058290_f1bd03e8c6_h.jpg

Back