Birds Show Birds

Strange creatures, Barn Swallows. I've seen them with their heads twisted upside down. X-T1 + Vivitar 70-150 Close Focus.

TT

I guess I should add these birds are not dead or injured. They will land, fan out their wings and tails, then twist their heads around and sit like that for a few minutes before flying off. I see the behavior many times a day.

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

Last edited:
Gull launching off of roof on fishing pier - this was a very grey and sometimes drizzly day, and given the gull's color, I found it easier to process in black & white than try to wrestle with any very subtle coloring in the original.

Panasonic ZS-100, f6.3, 1/640 handheld, ISO 200.
Gull18_s.jpg

Not an easy job for the little pocket Fuji XP-90. The egret had some red fringing around it, and some smear. Still, more than adequate for overall detail.

Fuji XP90, f4.9, 1/480 handheld, ISO 100..
Mtpleasant_Park46_s.jpg

Today a young mockingbird landed on a branch a few feet away, and the little Fuji XP90 was handy. XP90 image quality is comparable to an iPhone in most cases, but the Fuji has an optical zoom....

Fuji XP90, f8.0, 1/300 sec. handheld, ISO 100.
Mockingbird02_s.jpg

Hello,

New member here! I wanted to share my favorite bird photos with you. I especially enjoy portrait style captures and the effect that side-lighting has on my subjects, therefore, early morning or late afternoon sunlight works best. I prefer to shoot toward the slightly darker end of the exposure spectrum to achieve the look I want in my photographs.

All photos were taken in the wild, hand-held and have not been cropped. I use a Canon SX40, Canon SX50 & Nikon Coolpix P610 for my bird & wildlife photography.

I hope you enjoy these beautiful birds, which I call "living works of art."

Best regards,
Tony

1. Double-crested Cormorant
cormorants2016-M.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Snowy Egret
DSCN2184-M.jpg

3. Great Blue Heron
Great%20Blue%20Heron%20Tony%20Britton%202014-M.jpg

4. Black-crowned Night Heron (adult form)
IMG_0454-M.jpg

5. Green Heron
bestwestlake2013%20a%20%283%29-M.jpg

One more set here then off to collect a few more photographic souvenirs!

Tony

The first image of the cormorant was especially fun in that we were bobbing up-and-down quite vigorously on opposite facing docks at a harbor. It was a bit of a challenge to compose and time the shot!

1. Double-crested Cormorant
2016%20britton-M.jpg

2. Red-tailed Hawk
IMG_4084-M.jpg

3. Ring-billed Gull
ring-billed%20gull%20britton2016-M.jpg

4. Snowy Egret
DSCN3049-M.jpg

5. Brown Pelican
IMG_5287-L.jpg

Back