Birds Show Birds

The young hawks were out around sunset last night, thus the warm glow in two of the shots. They seem to be hunting for themselves and finding their way around, but are still sometimes rather goofy in an endearing adolescent way: Still learning what it means to be a hawk.

View attachment 71855

Still with the F. Zuiko 300mm f4.5 legacy lens. My M. Zuiko 40-150 arrived today, so I think I'll try it and see how blow ups from it compare to the 300mm prime, which I've enjoyed using. I'm impressed at how small it is, though. PReviously I was using the 4/3 40-150 f3.5 -4.5 on the m4/3 bodies. It's a nice lens but quite large by comparison. The 40-150 is about as big as the 12-50 kit zoom that came with the E-M5. It makes the 300mm look like a piece of artillery.

With X-10.

2146-dscf4241.jpg

2151-dscf4210-edit.jpg

Uh oh, now you've done it for me - love those birds you all have! I wonder how far away you were from this little fellow? Very nicely done!

I would have been approx 10m (30ft) from this one as it was in a high branch. Can get pretty close (1-2m (3-6ft)) on occasions as they are quite tame. Even our dogs don't scare them away, in fact the Kookies can taunt the dogs!

Thanks so much, Geoff. I am trying to figure out which camera I might eventually buy. I know I'll never have a serious bird photographer's kind of lens...you know those giant spotting scope like lenses...so I keep wondering if I really do need an interchangeable...and then I see your photos and start rethinking about the XE-1.

Impressive! Bill, that little "flycatcher" (that's what he looks like to me) is amazing with the detail. All are very detailed and crisp. Are you shooting jpegs with this, as it seems so many do?

Thanks BB - the bird is called a Willy Wagtail here and it is insectivorous. That image is cropped to about 20% of the original - looking forward to the 55-200 arriving tomorrow. I am trialing jpegs here and the monos are from Silver Effects and frames from Snapseed. Like many reviewers say the jpegs are very good and process well.

Wow!!!! James, this is a fantastic shot. Talk about a cinematographer's eye! Fantastic!

Is this a Magpie? Stunning looking bird. I'm just bowled over by this. Such terrific lighting.

Is this with your Leica?

Back