Birds Show Birds

Mayank

Veteran
Bird photography is most often associated with heavy SLR bodies that shoot at machine gun speed with long lenses nicknamed as 'Bazookas'. Show photographs of birds taken with compact cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much Mayank - I'll never look at Common Starlings in the same way! The blue sky color field, the light colored wires and the detail of each individual bird looking this way and that all came together here just wonderfully. This time, with these birds in this scene that blue sky is perfect.

With a Lumix LX5. (Mute Swan) I.A. exposure and with the aid of a piece of bread and a long cable release just in case things got nasty. processing crop... B&W convert, contrast adjust, layer and saturation to the beak

59252_1396683364816_1464193743_849113_5878205_n.jpg

On a Visit to Australia.. (Pelican). Leica D-lux 3... with Raynox 2.2x extension to barrel. set to shutter priority / 500th shutter speed... processing short crop only

39063_1354760476770_1464193743_759123_3055475_n.jpg

On a visit to Australia.. (Rainbow Parrakeet) Leica D-lux 3 with Raynox 2.2x extension to barrel... set to fully automatic... processing short crop, slight saturation

39662_1354760076760_1464193743_759121_3302722_n.jpg

On a Visit to Australia.. (Pelican). Leica D-lux 3 at 4x .... set to shutter priority / 200th shutter speed... processing short crop, saturation adjustment

40305_1354763756852_1464193743_759126_4561329_n.jpg

A lovely shot of a lovely bird, Mal. A Mute Swan, I presume.. a bird that's very rare in my country (India), how I'd love to see one in real life! Thanks for sharing!

Mal and Will - thanks so much - these are really wonderful to see!

Mal, I'm impressed with that Raynox extension added to the D-Lux 3 and, that swan is a beauty on the almost black waters.

Will, very cool and very different gull shots great angles - that first one, he looks as though he landed about 3 feet from you! I think I recognize that weird "sea monster" in the background rising from the deep.

BBW...

Tried the Raynox 2.2x Tele on my new Lumix LX5, but the vignetting on the 3:2 & 4:3 ratios is awfull.... This must be why Lumix have created the all new 1:1 ratio as it works really well on that one.... so it looks like I'll be keeping the extension lens in my compact travel kit after all..... lol

Mal.

Mal and Will - thanks so much - these are really wonderful to see!

Mal, I'm impressed with that Raynox extension added to the D-Lux 3 and, that swan is a beauty on the almost black waters.

Will, very cool and very different gull shots great angles - that first one, he looks as though he landed about 3 feet from you! I think I recognize that weird "sea monster" in the background rising from the deep.

Thanks BBW. The gull was distracted trying to balance on the post. I walked right up to it and to the two shots, one as it stood there and the next as it gave up and flew off. the first is full width with a minor crop top and bottom and the flying one has a very minor crop all around. I was very close!

Will thanks for the backstory to your gulls - you did a great job with the two of them. I know how pesky and temperamental those birds can be!

Mayank, yours is truly lovely. It's easy to see your graphic artist's background showing through. The driftwood, or broken wood from some decayed structure, appear like characters...as in a form of writing...while the duck paddling along leaving her trail, seems to be underscoring the message above. Subtle and strong. The gold and black really compliment each other beautifully.

Nice one, Mal. White balance seems to be off in the image (of the Sparrowhawk) but it seems to be lending to the image a surreal touch!

Lovely shot, Christian - the layers of clouds with the sunlight...and those fiery trees. You framed this beautifully with the air space between the cloud layers at the top. Well, I guess you and nature framed it just right.:)

Back