Birds Show Birds

This little guy is always hiding in the same trees alongside the lake where we live. I can easily walk up to within 10 feet of him without scaring him off. I believe it's a Bittern. (I'm not a "bird man").
Andy, I think you'll find that this is an immature Black-crowned Night Heron. Bitterns rarely if ever sit in trees and the white spots on the back are diagnostic, a Bittern would be plainer on the back.

Barrie

Heard a screech, looked up, pointed quickly, and .........
P1010160.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

got lucky!

Just a couple of impromptu shots; I had the FZ1000 and its 400mm-e zoom available in changing light, so this is all I got. I haven't cropped the images (though I picked ones that would allow for it) - preserving atmosphere and environment seemed more appropriate in this case.

P1000826.jpg

P1000831.jpg

M.

I just discovered I posted the same photo in this thread twice, almost a year apart. I hate when that happens 'cause it's a sign of old age. Seventy is old? Hmmm, news to me. ;) Anyway, this one hasn't been posted before.

View attachment 215127
Jim, your "double post" may well have been caused by the simple fact that there were TWO "Birds" threads that have now been merged. Sorry for that, everyone - I should have made the merger public.

M.

Jim, your "double post" may well have been caused by the simple fact that there were TWO "Birds" threads that have now been merged. Sorry for that, everyone - I should have made the merger public.

M.
That's okay. If you will, please also merge my 2 posts of the same photo: This one and this one. Prob'ly doesn't matter which one is merged into the other one. I s'pose you could just delete one of them instead. It's not like I would mourn the loss of a bigger post count or a few likes. ;)

Back