Birds Show Birds

P2130222.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When I opened the door onto our deck this afternoon to take our pets out for their afternoon outing, I spooked a Northern Flicker that was on a tree right off the deck. I’ve never seen one so close to the house, so I ran back in and grabbed my X-T2 + 50-230. It only took me a few seconds to get the camera, but the Flicker was back on the same tree when I came back out. It flew off again, but I waited. Sure enough, it came back, but this time it had a companion. They’ve always been really skittish when I encounter them in the woods, but these birds flitted from branch to branch, offering me some excellent poses.

Not only that, but a Pileated Woodpecker loudly announced its arrival as it landed on the big Shagbark Hickory in our back yard. That tree was about twice as far from me and the Pileated was up near the top, but I was able to slowly maneuver myself into a position where I had a better view. The bird flew into another tree even farther away, but at least it landed where I could get a good profile shot.

Both of these birds have been on my photographic bucket list for years. I’ve never been able to get more than a far away blurry snap of either, and today I got both within 15 minutes of each other. Sweet!!

DSCF0303A.JPG

DSCF0309A.JPG

DSCF0311A.JPG

DSCF0313A.JPG

DSCF0316A.JPG

DSCF0317A.JPG

Eastern Koel. They migrate from Indonesia every year around October, for the purposes of mating and producing an egg, which gets deposited in some other bird’s nest. Yes, its a cuckoo. Down here also known as rainbirds, and their arrival does seem to herald rain. Not so reliable in recent years. This was one of two sitting in my tuckeroo tree (whats left of it after this week’s storm) arguing over ownership of the food.
8620AC15-64FD-40D4-9215-4D6235CCE458.jpeg

Back