Birds Show Birds

DSCF4194.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF4196.JPG

DSCF4197.JPG

A starling on the gutter of our roof. One of the inhabitants of our house!
View attachment 253134
Ah yes, the European Starling. When those things are flocking, they descend on our yard like a scene from Hitchcock's The Birds. A flock of those will strip the feeders bare in a single morning. And if I go out and make a loud noise, they fly away and come right back as soon as my back is turned.

Spent a few days at the Oregon coast, in and around Bandon. At a local park, a band of wild turkeys occasionally can be seen. This 'Tom' was putting on a show, puffing himself up, spreading his feather in the characteristic fan, and generally acting like he was an important fellow. And then occasionally vocalizing, like he is doing here---

RX10_Mar26_21_wild_turkey.jpg

Great pic. That RX10 seems to be working well for you.

Thanks, Tony.
The RX10iii is shockingly good for what I have been trying to use it for - telephoto portraits of the varied, various and sundry wildlife that populates my metaphoric neck of the woods, southern Oregon. It's a little tricky figuring out all of its myriad bells and whistles; Sony menus are not known for their intuitive simplicity and the RX10M3 is no exception. But, that said, it's proving to be a very capable tool :)

Last edited:
The neighbor who has a farm next door recently acquired a band of marauding guineafowl whose nonstop calls are occasionally infernal, and who have no respect for property lines: occasionally they have either crawled beneath or flown over the fence separating our properties, and rampaged around my extended garden, much to the irritation of my cat. But recently, a solitary guineafowl hen snuck over by herself, and secreted herself beneath an old trailer for some time. What was she doing there, you ask?

She was digging a nest, within which to lay an egg. Which she did today---

RX10_Mar30_21_guineafowl_egg#1.jpg

Here is a wider angle, showing the context of her impromptu nest beneath the trailer---

RX10_Mar30_21_guineafowl_egg#4.jpg

When bipeds showed up, she took to her metaphorical heels, abandoned the nest and retreated to the fence at the property line, squawking agitatedly---

RX10_Mar30_21_guineafowl_hen#2.jpg

The neighbor has been informed of the transgressions... who knows what the next chapter of this saga will contain?

On a late morning stroll on a small rural lane near my house, suddenly with no warning, a magnificent red-tailed hawk swooped overhead, rising quickly and flying away from me with great speed. I only had time to raise the camera, try to zoom in on where it was, and take two pictures before it became a speck in the sky. Here it is - my red-tailed avian neighbor---

RX10_Apr1_21_red-tailed_hawk#1.jpg

Back