Birds Show Birds

This is supposed to be a Shag but I don't know which one. It may be the Spotted Shag because of the shape of the beak.
P1001404.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pied Stilt - This one flew back and forth my location then I realised it was shooing me away from its young ones even though I was just on the side of the road.
P1001410.jpg
P1001417.jpg

P1001423.jpg

P1001449.jpg

Common myna - I captured the other guy gliding down the light pole.
IMGP9006.JPG

IMGP9007.JPG

I used the 50-200mm WR and, in order to take such shots, I had to pre-focus to infinity first instead of relying on the AF to lock-on on the subject. The focus action is closer from infinity to the subject than from 1.1m. With the 18-250mm, I used to just rely on the AF and the lens would wind forever before it locks on, making me miss some of the birds' movements. The AF lenses I have for Pentax are still screw-driven and the good thing about the 50-200mm is that I don't have to switch to MF to do the prefocus. The MF ring is loose unlike the one on the 18-250mm.

Birds come and go in Oregon, according to the seasons - and, probably, their inclinations. But the smallish Golden-crowned sparrows have been around here for quite awhile and, from the looks of things, have no plans to leave. This one has a fondness for the orange-ish berries of a neighboring pyracantha bush.

Stylus_Nov14_21_Golden-crowned_sparrow#1.jpg

Back