Birds Show Birds

Each winter the ‘lake’ in Centennial Park progressively freezes except for one area on the west side. Of the aquatic birds, ducks remain almost all winter; people feed them with seeds and grain tossed on the snow.
Duck.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Ducks in Pond.jpeg

Last edited:
More baldies :) from Loess Bluff NWL refuge on December 2020.

This is taken using HHHR and cropped from 40MB to 18MB file size.
50763651458_c171d8bc5f_o.jpg
EM130457_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

It then took off and I couldn't get any take off shot as camera was processing that HHHR shot. But it looped around and was able to grab some of its fight shots. There are flock of gees flying the background.
50764384206_9b8e7a6820_o.jpg
EM130471_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

Frozen snow goose for breakfast. I saw this bald eagle perched about 150meters away when I spotted the dead goose. I got out of my car sat, waited took series of in-coming flight images. But I like these few the most.
51878758315_c7ff97f2ab_o.jpg
EM130625_DxO by Narin, on Flickr
50763660273_c9b80f68aa_o.jpg
EM130648_DxO by Narin, on Flickr
51878430899_9e0c083f7f_o.jpg
EM130967_DxO 1 by Narin, on Flickr

I noticed another juvenile close by and thought it would have come in and tried to steal. But it just flown pass by.
51878116761_bb96124570_o.jpg
EM130916_DxO 1 by Narin, on Flickr

Last edited:
Birds, too! It was bad enough when I thought you were a one-trick pony with the fantastic butterfly shots, but now I learn you can make delightful pics of other things as well?!? It's not fair that you're so good AND so young, and I'm so mediocre and so old. ;)

Jokes aside, that's a really nice capture, Fiona. And welcome (belatedly) to the forum.

- K

A selection of Aussie parrots

Galah
P2093036PE-DREDS.jpg

Sulphur-crested cockatoo
P1161509PE-DREDS.jpg

PA268257PE1RED.jpg

P2041858PE1-DRED.jpg

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo

PC100254PE-DRED.jpg

PC112078E-DSR.jpg

Birds, too! It was bad enough when I thought you were a one-trick pony with the fantastic butterfly shots, but now I learn you can make delightful pics of other things as well?!? It's not fair that you're so good AND so young, and I'm so mediocre and so old. ;)

Jokes aside, that's a really nice capture, Fiona. And welcome (belatedly) to the forum.

- K
Thanks, I do like birds, but not as much as butterflies. I also like flowers, spiders, snakes, and other bugs and reptiles. This roadrunner was eating butterflies and left the wings all over. The lady that worked there told us about their neighbor who had a family of roadrunners that made a nest in their lawnmower grass bag. The guy went to use his mower in the spring and found a family of roadrunners. He didn't use his lawnmower all summer.

There's an old well-known and well-worn quote, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". This morning, walking in a wildlife preserve with scores upon scores of sparrows, none of them chose to alight on my hands; but this one, in a nearby bush, seemed quite content with himself.

EM1_Feb17_22_sparrow_in_a_tree.jpg

Moral of the story: for the photographer, a bird in the bush is better than none.

On a hike through the Denman Wildlife area in southern Oregon, I ran into a literal horde of very active golden-crowned sparrows. They flitted back and forth between bushes, trees and the ground, where they hopped about searching for a meal.
On occasion, as they were hopping, they fluttered--

EM1_Feb17_22_golden-crowned_sparrow#4.jpg

And their hops seemed almost always about to turn into flight--

EM1_Feb17_22_golden-crowned_sparrow#5.jpg

Then they would abruptly spin-about, doing a 180 degree 'about-face'---

EM1_Feb17_22_golden-crowned_sparrow#8.jpg

A moment later, the head would bob searching something tasty at their feet, while their tail would bob up at the same time--

EM1_Feb17_22_golden-crowned_sparrow#9.jpg

And a fraction of a second later, it would be hopping on its way, from one foot to the other---

EM1_Feb17_22_golden-crowned_sparrow#10.jpg

It takes a lot of energy to do all of that, over and over and over again. I imagine that's why they sit and rest on convenient branches, in between the almost nonstop forays. It ain't easy bein' a bird.

more of our parrots
Green Rosella ~ Platycercus caledonicus
the only species of parrot to be confined to Tasmania
They are beautiful birds with a lovely call, and being parrots quite entertaining at times

juveniles
P3111089S-PSE-DNR.jpg
P3121153SMALLRS-PSE-DNR.jpg

adult
P4100161cres-DNR.jpg
P5071238PSE-DNR.jpg
P3272022PE-DRED.jpg

Eastern Rosella ~ Platycercus eximius
Dropped in earlier, a bit out of place here apparently
Have seen them on the coast, but not inland
PB179178PE-DREDS.jpg

you don't see any of these interacting between types, no fights or harassment and never known them here to interbreed
You may see a cockatoo in the same tree as a Rosella, but they don't seem to fly around together

Laughing Falcon taken at Dzibanche, Mexico December last year.

We were out sightseeing some remote Mayan ruins and while driving between Dzibanche ruin to Kinichna ruin, I spotted this guy. With family with me, I spent about 5 minutes or so with the bird. At time, it checked out something down below, likely some sneak. But it never took off. I also wished it made the call as when I used my bird app, it really sounds like laughing. Anyhow, I felt very happy running into this bird specie for the first time totally unexpected.

51827563138_9af92aa792_o.jpg
EM531388_DxO by Narin, on Flickr
51826507007_f36f56185a_o.jpg
EM531421_DxO by Narin, on Flickr
51827799099_74c7ea3aaa_o.jpg
EM531429_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

Laughing Falcon taken at Dzibanche, Mexico December last year.

We were out sightseeing some remote Mayan ruins and while driving between Dzibanche ruin to Kinichna ruin, I spotted this guy. With family with me, I spent about 5 minutes or so with the bird. At time, it checked out something down below, likely some sneak. But it never took off. I also wished it made the call as when I used my bird app, it really sounds like laughing. Anyhow, I felt very happy running into this bird specie for the first time totally unexpected.

View attachment 293508EM531388_DxO by Narin, on Flickr
View attachment 293509EM531421_DxO by Narin, on Flickr
View attachment 293510EM531429_DxO by Narin, on Flickr
Congratulations!

more of our parrots
Green Rosella ~ Platycercus caledonicus
the only species of parrot to be confined to Tasmania
They are beautiful birds with a lovely call, and being parrots quite entertaining at times

juveniles
View attachment 293429View attachment 293430

adult
View attachment 293431View attachment 293432View attachment 293433

Eastern Rosella ~ Platycercus eximius
Dropped in earlier, a bit out of place here apparently
Have seen them on the coast, but not inland
View attachment 293435

you don't see any of these interacting between types, no fights or harassment and never known them here to interbreed
You may see a cockatoo in the same tree as a Rosella, but they don't seem to fly around together
I am so envious of all the beautiful birds you have in Australia. I love seeing the pictures from down under, keep them coming.

Last edited:
On a hike through the Denman Wildlife area in southern Oregon, I ran into a literal horde of very active golden-crowned sparrows. They flitted back and forth between bushes, trees and the ground, where they hopped about searching for a meal.
On occasion, as they were hopping, they fluttered--

View attachment 293417

And their hops seemed almost always about to turn into flight--

View attachment 293418

Then they would abruptly spin-about, doing a 180 degree 'about-face'---

View attachment 293419

A moment later, the head would bob searching something tasty at their feet, while their tail would bob up at the same time--

View attachment 293420

And a fraction of a second later, it would be hopping on its way, from one foot to the other---

View attachment 293421

It takes a lot of energy to do all of that, over and over and over again. I imagine that's why they sit and rest on convenient branches, in between the almost nonstop forays. It ain't easy bein' a bird.
This is really fun that you were able to record a sequence of its dance.

Back