Birds Show Birds

From this mornings paddle,
P6290025.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Good Evening,

This was an odd sight to see; a small bird feeding a much larger fledging, but not of the same species. This pair hung out in the same tree for about 5 minutes which kept me very curious. The lens used was a manual focus Canon FD 300mm f2.8 L, with a Metabones Speedbooster Ultra (0.71X), looking to the camera like a 212mm f2...:).

Regards,

Edd

B-1.jpg
B-2.jpg
B-3.jpg
B-4.jpg
B-5.jpg

Good Evening,

This was an odd sight to see; a small bird feeding a much larger fledging, but not of the same species. This pair hung out in the same tree for about 5 minutes which kept me very curious. The lens used was a manual focus Canon FD 300mm f2.8 L, with a Metabones Speedbooster Ultra (0.71X), looking to the camera like a 212mm f2...:).

Regards,

Edd

View attachment 318560View attachment 318561View attachment 318562View attachment 318563View attachment 318564
The fledgeling looks like it could swallow the adult.

Good Evening,

Regards,

Edd

View attachment 318560View attachment 318561View attachment 318562View attachment 318563View attachment 318564
The fledgling will be a cuckoo chick.

John,

Thanks for the info; I just got off of the Cornell University Ornithology Lab website and you were spot on! They are a parasitic species, and they remove/destroy the eggs in the host nest that they take over. According to Cornell, they are of "least concern"...not sure I want to see them continue in this way in my woodlands, however.

Regards,

Edd

John,

Thanks for the info; I just got off of the Cornell University Ornithology Lab website and you were spot on! They are a parasitic species, and they remove/destroy the eggs in the host nest that they take over. According to Cornell, they are of "least concern"...not sure I want to see them continue in this way in my woodlands, however.

Regards,

Edd
One or two cuckoos, many prey species members, Edd. Ugly system, but it's nature's way of making more DNA. Just as we are ...

Back