Birds Show Birds

PGX92130-crop.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PGX92140-crop.jpg

PGX92144.JPG

SOOC Handheld / Heavy Crop

Last edited:
Good Afternoon,

This image was the first decent attempt at using the M.Zuiko 300mm f4 with the MC-14 TC for BIF. Finding the moving target and keeping it locked will take more practice on my end for certain. The Sync-IS seemed to work really well and kept the EVF image very stable. I have the MC-20 TC on the way as of today, to give that a good run (effective 1200mm!); time will tell if it is worth the money.

Regards,

Edd

Osprey-072922.jpg

Good Afternoon,

This image was the first decent attempt at using the M.Zuiko 300mm f4 with the MC-14 TC for BIF. Finding the moving target and keeping it locked will take more practice on my end for certain. The Sync-IS seemed to work really well and kept the EVF image very stable. I have the MC-20 TC on the way as of today, to give that a good run (effective 1200mm!); time will tell if it is worth the money.

Regards,

Edd

View attachment 326182
I used that combo for quite some time. I will say the pop red dot sight from Olympus helped me a ton to quickly acquire the target and then bring my face up to the camera while tracking it. Sometimes I’d just spray and pray while only looking through the red dot.
I will say I never recall seeing the vignetting that I see in your shot. Was this a straight out of camera jpg? Great shot though!

I used that combo for quite some time. I will say the pop red dot sight from Olympus helped me a ton to quickly acquire the target and then bring my face up to the camera while tracking it. Sometimes I’d just spray and pray while only looking through the red dot.
I will say I never recall seeing the vignetting that I see in your shot. Was this a straight out of camera jpg? Great shot though!
Hi Chris,

The vignetting was added by me in post; the original RAW file was clean, no issues. I had purchased the Oly Red-Dot sight a couple of years ago when I was using the MetaBones EF to MFT adapter with an EF 300mm and 400mm lens; never really warmed up to it honestly (YMMV...:)) and sold it in less than a month. Thanks for the kind words nevertheless!

Regards,

Edd

I had purchased the Oly Red-Dot sight a couple of years ago when I was using the MetaBones EF to MFT adapter with an EF 300mm and 400mm lens; never really warmed up to it honestly (YMMV...:)) and sold it in less than a month.

I looked into the EE-1 and concluded it would be a pain to align every time I mounted it in the hot shoe. I'm also a cheapskate, demanding value for products (though you'd never know from the amount of equipment I've bought!). I bought a pack of Picatinny rails and proceeded to modify the suitable length rail and screw + epoxy it to the side of the 300mm's tripod collar. I can mount or remove the commercial all-metal dot site and never have to realign it. Total cost was under $80 CDN:
Dot Sight On Rail 2.jpg

I looked into the EE-1 and concluded it would be a pain to align every time I mounted it in the hot shoe. I'm also a cheapskate, demanding value for products (though you'd never know from the amount of equipment I've bought!). I bought a pack of Picatinny rails and proceeded to modify the suitable length rail and screw + epoxy it to the side of the 300mm's tripod collar. I can mount or remove the commercial all-metal dot site and never have to realign it. Total cost was under $80 CDN:
View attachment 326223
Graham,

Now that is an awesome setup; I'm going to do some machining on the tripod collar based on what I can see in you photo. Thanks for sharing that!

Regards,

Edd

Graham,

Now that is an awesome setup; I'm going to do some machining on the tripod collar based on what I can see in you photo. Thanks for sharing that!

Regards,

Edd
Edd, the tripod collar is formed sheet metal with a slick plastic insert so it rotates smoothly around the lens body. I can send you a few pics of the rest of the prep and mounting process and the written description of what I did.

Edd, the tripod collar is formed sheet metal with a slick plastic insert so it rotates smoothly around the lens body. I can send you a few pics of the rest of the prep and mounting process and the written description of what I did.
Graham, that would be great. I ordered a dot-sight (4 reticles/red-green) from Amazon this morning. I'll PM you shortly with my email address; thank again, I'm looking forward to getting this done.

Regards,

Edd

Back